iPhone and Camping for a week

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by harry20larry, Jul 19, 2011.

1. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I am going camping for a week and for sure will need it at times. I will be no where near any power outlet so need a charging solution. The three I know about are:

1. Portable Battery Charger
    2. Solar Charger
    3. Wind up charger

Which one do you think is the best, and if you can go into specifics, which brand and model would you recommend. Thank you in advance.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I just came back from a camping long weekend. I took my iPhone 4 and just turned it off and on as required. I came back with half the battery left.

3. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

The problem is that as a group we are planning it quite a lot so I am worried it will die during the week.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ive seen threads on here talking about solar chargers have you read any of those threads?

5. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Solar chargers are crap. They take 16 hours to charge a phone is bright direct sunlight. I don't know what it will to take to just sustain it though.

Are you planning on making a lot of phone calls on your camping trip?

Maybe people have different viewpoints camping, but in my little world a cell phone is for emergencies only while camping.
    I also think camping is a backpack, tent, and sleeping bag. Not a travel trailer with a generator and a TV.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

There are products that can charge your iPhone from AA batteries. Just bring a bunch of those. Will you be near a car or are you hiking far away from it? If you can get to the car then just bring one of those packs of 50 AA batteries from Costco and leave them in the trunk. This is the cheapest way to bring a lot of power with you.

Also, Airplane Mode is your friend!

You can still use the camera and many games and apps. Only turn Airplane Mode off when you really need the internet. Otherwise leave the radios off and your phone will last a LOT longer.

7. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Get the Zagg Sparq, it's 50% using this promocode (apply at checkout):

"drewsparq"

Hurry up and get it TODAY because I don't think it will last that much longer!

Source: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/07/18/50-discount-on-the-zagg-sparq-get-it-while-it-lasts/

You're welcome!

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I actually have two of these Satechi iCels. [​IMG]

I can get two full charges out of each one (maybe 2 1/2) before the battery is dead. The batteries to drain after awhile but not too much. I think you're able to get 3 full charges if you have a 3G/3GS.

Another option is to get the battery powered chargers that take AA batteries. I've heard mixed results about those so not sure about the quality of those.

But as others have mentioned, turning off all the stuff you don't need will help out a lot with the battery life. So shut off wifi, 3G, bluetooth, etc and that alone should but you more time with your phone.

9. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

I'd just buy a very cheap (<£30) dumbphone and take that. You will only need to charge it once before the trip and it will last. Also, you won't have to worry about your iPhone getting broke/damp.

10. Orion126 macrumors regular

Airplane mode will definitely extend your battery life when camping.

11. blinkie macrumors regular

I've camped a few times now with my phone. I took a solar charger called a PowerBee (I think). It's internal battery is very good, I charged it via usb before I left and got almost two full recharges out of it before I bothered leaving it out in the sun. I spend a whole week without mains power using my phone everyday for photos and video, occasionally switching cellular functions on to check for messages. Solar chargers are slow to recharge but if they're already loaded with a big full battery half the battle is won.

12. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Dumb phones can't run apps for birdwatching, plant id, navigating, stargazing, emergency first aid, geocaching, taking pictures, taking movies, etc...

I'm amazed by how short sighted people in an iPhone forum are with regards to why someone would want to take their iPhone camping.

For the OP, I've had pretty good luck with my AA powered recharger. Solar chargers are crap, they take way too long to recharge your phone.

13. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Not at all short sighted considering the OP stated none of these uses. If they had then obviously I wouldn't have suggested this method.

14. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

Turn it off when you sleep.

During the day keep it in airplane mode unless you need the network for something.

Keep wifi and other services (like push mail) off.

If you have an iPhone 4 it should last nearly the whole week unless you use it all the time. With an iPhone 3G or 3GS you'll probably need a portable charger. I'd recommend a car charger.

15. seajay96 macrumors 6502

He also didn't state that he needed to be able to make phone calls, so why would you assume that's what he wanted it for? Like I said, shortsighted.

[/threadjack]

16. Savor Suspended

Savor

Agreed.

Airplane Mode really helps. I didn't charge my phone for 5 days last week with just the occasional checking on WiFi and listening to songs most of that time. I usually can get 10 hour Wi-Fi browsing usually with Airplane Mode on, killing apps in background, turning off notifications, and keeping the brightness fairly dim.