iphone and car stereo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daryliow, Apr 20, 2008.

1. daryliow macrumors regular

I use my iphone through my car stereo using the aux point with a simple aux cable, this allows me to listen to my iphone music.

But

Why does it not allow me to talk through the speakers?

Does anyone know a solution? I have searched for the answer but have been unable to find it.

Cheers

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

When you talk into the phone normally, do you hear yourself in the phone? No. The audio input (microphone at the bottom) is just to send your voice to the other person. Same deal with hooking it up via the car stereo.

3. DudeMan macrumors newbie

You're not asking why you can't talk to people through your car speakers are you?

4. zmit macrumors regular

lets hope not. otherwise ill gladly take the iphone off his hands :D

i think he is actually referring to hearing the other person in a phone call.

has anyone else tried? i will be doing the exact same thing when i get mine.

i have heard that the iphone allows you to hear from the loudspeaker, the earphones, but not the dock connector. so in theory, it should be working...

edit: found a thread that proves it works.
    http://modmyifone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66391

however... if hes asking why he cant talk through the speakers..... then... um.... sound 101
    A SPEAKER IS NOT WIRED AS A MICROPHONE

5. maceleven macrumors 6502

the speakers are not a microphone but they should be able to hear you thru the iphone microphone. When i talk to people using my iphone thats hooked up thru my auxiliary imput people can hear me fine.

6. zmit macrumors regular

one person in that thread i posted has said that they have to have the iphone very close to them.

i guess it depends on the car. i have my windows down all the time (90 degrees F and 90% humidity, no airconditioning)
    so it will be near impossible for me.

7. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

No sound comes out of my speakers when when my iPhone is plugged in through my aux point during a call!!

I don't know why, but I wish it would work!!!

8. zmit macrumors regular

but.... the music does???

sounds like a question for 1800-MY-APPLE

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

This works for me using a normal cassette adapter > 3.5mm

So it does work, normally.

10. iPhoneTest macrumors newbie

If you use a splitter and put the cable from your aux into the splitter with one of the ends open, you should be able to talk. This way the phone knows that you have the mic.

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Yep it works, but most cars have horrible location for aux input. So unless you are willing to tangle yourself with long wires, why not just get a bluetooth headset?

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have a bluetooth enabled stereo and it rocks! It charges the iPhone, plays music from the dock port and I can make and receive calls right from the stereo. It's wicked cool!

13. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

Could i get a link? Im thinking of geting an alpine one with a iPod/iPhone plug in but, i dont know yet..

14. rayward macrumors 65816

When you answer the call, try switching the call to speaker mode. Maybe that will push the sound through your car stereo.

15. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Actually it's perhaps that he was in speaker mode why the sound wasn't going through the audio output.

16. rayward macrumors 65816

I had the same audio set up in my previous car, but it also had hands free Bluetooth so I got phone calls through the stereo that way. Was guessing at a possible solution, but it makes sense that with the iPhone's speaker off, the sound would go through the headphone jack - just as it would if using earbuds. Cool.