Iphone and competitor battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lolsloth, Jul 16, 2011.

1. lolsloth macrumors newbie

Hey all long time lurker here, lovely to finally chat to you all :)

I rather hope this doesn't get moved or deleted, and I'm hoping it's in the right place. I'm about to upgrade off my ageing HTC Hero, even CyanogenMod can't help it, it's really starting to show it's age.

While looking at what I'd like to replace it with, I realised that I really wanted something with a decent battery life more than anything, that's high on my priority list. Naturally an iPhone is in the running, as it tops all of the battery torture tests.

Can any other phones, possibly with roms rival what you've seen in terms of iPhone battery life? And if not od you have any recommendations as to smart phones you know have great battery life? How long have you pushed any phones you've owned?

All bets are off, no hatin', I'm aware all of the ecosystems have merits ;)

Ta for your time x

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Had a 3GS, Nexus One, Samsung Captivate, Inspire 4G, and iPhone 4.

I used many different ROMs and such on the Android phones, made things better but not good enough.

iPhone 4 has the best battery life around

3. therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

Somewhat true but you gotta remember that the iphone doesnt do as much as an equiv android device like a gs2. The iphone also doesnt have the screen real estate. So you will be giving up a lot for maybe 10-20% percent battery life. Obviously, battery life isnt the only thing other wise we would all be buying old nokias that lasted a week.

4. lolsloth thread starter macrumors newbie

That's pretty much the issue.. It's incredibly frustrating we have to make trade offs, I guess battery tech just hasn't kept up with the pace.

Reading all the Blackberry OS 7 upgrade path issues has also soured quite a lot of the people I know to RIM, and that was looking like my path of last resort.. I'd have jumped with it if OS 7 was QNX, but sadly that's next time round :mad:

In retrospect something that can comfortably last the day would do me :/

5. therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

Battery tech seems to be the the thing moving the slowest. Not just in phones but look at electric cars too.

6. Savor Suspended

Savor

I was reading different sites on if dual core is overkill?

Dual Core = Overkill
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1077792

Then I read this rumor about how the A5 chip is overheating and delaying the iPhone 5. Link

I hope all the manufacturers needs to stop making this into an arm's race and focus more on improving battery life instead of chipsets that has four cores and the OS is only optimized to use one of them. Multi-core might be great for multi-tasking and graphic intensive games, but they need to slow it down and focus on other advancements. An iPhone 4 at single core underclocked to 800MHz can still run as fast and have better battery life than a 1GHz dual core Motorola Atrix. Similar to the MP count on cameraphones. A 5MP camera on an iPhone 4 can still take better pictures than most with 8MP-12MP.

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Dual core processors actually offer improved battery life as they are not being pushed as hard. It says so right there in the XDA link you posted.

8. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

With airplane mode on and wifi usage, most smartphones will come close. This is true of both iPhone 4 and high end androids.

However, 3G drain on iPhone 4 while browsing is slower, and video drain is also very slow. Overall, if you are sticking to iOS or android (WP7 is not a bad choice too), the iPhone 4 is hands down the battery winner. Plain and simple. There is simply no contest. As much as I am looking forward to a GSM Evo 3D I am prepared to take a battery hit, will just need one extra spare at hand in case I do run out.

Unless battery technology hits some thing ground breaking, this is one place where today's smartphones have to be taken with a compromise.

So it's your preference. Are you a heavy user? Do you mind using extra battery? Is one long charge more preferable?

Single charge battery life: Symbian = BB > iPhone > WP7 = Android 2.2/2.3

Pick your poison :D