iPhone and ebooks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GuillaumeB, Mar 26, 2008.

1. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

i would like to start reading ebooks on my iPhone.
    whats the best solution for a NON jailbroken device?

- email attachment (pdf)
    - pdf thru Safari
    - or webpage?

Whats your experience? How can i legally store a document? And access it?

Thanks

Also where do you find those ebooks

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

It would be good if ebooks utilized the touch interface, so you could 'turn' the page and maybe if the page edges followed your finger tip. :D

3. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

4. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I found this site for a good source of eBooks, I just haven't figured out how to get them on my iPhone. (mine is jailbroken)

http://manybooks.net/

If anyone can help me get these on my iPhone that would be great!

5. TheMadBrewer macrumors regular

I've also very much interested in this -- If I could read eBooks on my iPhone I could travel with one fewer device :)

So how best to get the html file, pdf, whatever to the iPhone? Is jailbreak the only option?

I can put the doc on a web server and read it with EDGE/WiFi but I often travel in Europe and will turn data roaming off so I need to be able to read offline.

EDIT: I see now what filemarkmaker does, but I now have a different problem -- my Safari bookmarks aren't syncing -- even when I check the "replace" option under advanced they don't change. Its all bookmarks, even changes to the bookmark bar. Oh well

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Man up and jailbreak your iPhone.

You'll thank me :)

7. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Mine is jailbroken, but I still cannot find out how to get these on there. Or is there an installer source for books that I can just add?

8. ExitRightHere macrumors newbie

ExitRightHere

Ebooks on Iphone

Try http://www.textonphone.com
    on your Iphone.

They have thousands of books you can read free of charge on your Iphone.

It's a pretty good Iphone site made for reading books.

EXRH

9. GuillaumeB thread starter macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Well in fact this one is y favorite go to mnbks.net on the iphone the web interface and option offered (html, pdf and data:url) are awesome

10. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Yea, I tried the web interface, and it is nice, but if I can get them into the books app (jailbroken phone) They are much faster to load, easier to read, much easier to navigate, and just better looking overall. But I did email the guy from this site, and he said that he is going to look into a source for the installer.

11. bobbyboulders macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

hey guys,

Any idea how I can view articles (from bbc, nytimes, etc.) off line. Like, say im underground (in a train) and have No signal. Is there a way i can still be able to read these articles? Maybe an app that downloads/saves the article onto my iphone?

ps- my iphone has been broken out of jail...

12. Surely Guest

Surely

Check out this thread, it should be helpful with your bookmarks syncing issue.

EDIT: I need to start looking at the dates of posts- I didn't realize I was responding to a 3-26 post. Oh well, maybe it'll help someone anyway.....

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

This is one of MANY reasons why there needs to be some method for just plain ol' saving files to the iPhone! Basically, Finder needs to be in the 2.0 firmware. I would love to keep a copy of my resume and certain PDFs (manuals) on the iPhone, but I can't really do that.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

Agreed. It seems like an obvious. Why wouldn't they have thought we would want to be able to store files and docs on it? It could potentially be a simple new app- it doesn't necessarily need to be part of the firmware. It would also be smart of Apple to integrate iWork into the iPhone as well.