Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

i would like to start reading ebooks on my iPhone.
whats the best solution for a NON jailbroken device?

- email attachment (pdf)
- pdf thru Safari
- or webpage?

Whats your experience? How can i legally store a document? And access it?

Thanks

Also where do you find those ebooks

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
It would be good if ebooks utilized the touch interface, so you could 'turn' the page and maybe if the page edges followed your finger tip. :D

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
I found this site for a good source of eBooks, I just haven't figured out how to get them on my iPhone. (mine is jailbroken)

http://manybooks.net/

If anyone can help me get these on my iPhone that would be great!

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
I've also very much interested in this -- If I could read eBooks on my iPhone I could travel with one fewer device :)

So how best to get the html file, pdf, whatever to the iPhone? Is jailbreak the only option?

I can put the doc on a web server and read it with EDGE/WiFi but I often travel in Europe and will turn data roaming off so I need to be able to read offline.

EDIT: I see now what filemarkmaker does, but I now have a different problem -- my Safari bookmarks aren't syncing -- even when I check the "replace" option under advanced they don't change. Its all bookmarks, even changes to the bookmark bar. Oh well

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
Well in fact this one is y favorite go to mnbks.net on the iphone the web interface and option offered (html, pdf and data:url) are awesome

Yea, I tried the web interface, and it is nice, but if I can get them into the books app (jailbroken phone) They are much faster to load, easier to read, much easier to navigate, and just better looking overall. But I did email the guy from this site, and he said that he is going to look into a source for the installer.

bobbyboulders

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
hey guys,

Any idea how I can view articles (from bbc, nytimes, etc.) off line. Like, say im underground (in a train) and have No signal. Is there a way i can still be able to read these articles? Maybe an app that downloads/saves the article onto my iphone?

ps- my iphone has been broken out of jail...

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I've also very much interested in this -- If I could read eBooks on my iPhone I could travel with one fewer device :)

So how best to get the html file, pdf, whatever to the iPhone? Is jailbreak the only option?

I can put the doc on a web server and read it with EDGE/WiFi but I often travel in Europe and will turn data roaming off so I need to be able to read offline.

EDIT: I see now what filemarkmaker does, but I now have a different problem -- my Safari bookmarks aren't syncing -- even when I check the "replace" option under advanced they don't change. Its all bookmarks, even changes to the bookmark bar. Oh well

Check out this thread, it should be helpful with your bookmarks syncing issue.

EDIT: I need to start looking at the dates of posts- I didn't realize I was responding to a 3-26 post. Oh well, maybe it'll help someone anyway.....

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

i would like to start reading ebooks on my iPhone.
whats the best solution for a NON jailbroken device?

- email attachment (pdf)
- pdf thru Safari
- or webpage?

Whats your experience? How can i legally store a document? And access it?

Thanks

Also where do you find those ebooks

This is one of MANY reasons why there needs to be some method for just plain ol' saving files to the iPhone! Basically, Finder needs to be in the 2.0 firmware. I would love to keep a copy of my resume and certain PDFs (manuals) on the iPhone, but I can't really do that.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This is one of MANY reasons why there needs to be some method for just plain ol' saving files to the iPhone! Basically, Finder needs to be in the 2.0 firmware. I would love to keep a copy of my resume and certain PDFs (manuals) on the iPhone, but I can't really do that.

Agreed. It seems like an obvious. Why wouldn't they have thought we would want to be able to store files and docs on it? It could potentially be a simple new app- it doesn't necessarily need to be part of the firmware. It would also be smart of Apple to integrate iWork into the iPhone as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.