iPhone and Exercise...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarkW19, Aug 30, 2007.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Specifically light treadmill use...as it's all flash-based, should be fine shouldn't it (in a pocket)?

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i would never take that bad boy on a treadmill my old 1st gen Shuffle died that way:D and i got a big bruise on my behind:eek:

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...but as long as I avoid any accidents (unforeseen, I know), the motion etc. won't damage anything will it if it's securely in my pocket?

I might consider one of those new Product (RED) shuffles though, and use it just for this purpose. I wonder if the Apple headset button will work with the Shuffle to advance tracks/pause...

4. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

If you are asking if the iphone will be ok in your pocket they yes it will be. The bouncing around from the treadmill will not affect music playback. Your music will not skip and the iphone will not be affect in any way ;-)

5. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

I know it won't skip...more concerned about long-term damage inside by the constant "shocks" for 10 minutes every day... :)

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Better safe then sorry...is there a cup holder your can put it in? But I would recommend just getting used shuffle cheap somewhere.

7. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I think you're right guys.

Thinking about it as well - changing volume/tracks will be tricky if it's in my pocket (I always have my iPod/phone next to me when I'm listening to music on it, and not in my pocket while I'm walking about etc. so this is never an issue for me), and I'll probably want the cord routed up my tshirt so it's not dangling all over the place, making the mic button (almost) useless.

If I get a shuffle, it's light, not $600, basically nothing to damage/go wrong, and I can clip it to the bottom of my shirt for changing tracks/volume...as well as keeping it clipped to the treadmill ready for whenever I need to use it!

Might try and find one on eBay, or just get one of those new RED ones. Still, $79 does seem a lot just for 5/10 mins a day...

8. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I'm thinking of buying a cheapo Go-Phone (pay as you go) as a back up phone just for when I go jogging or to the gym.

Something I don't care if I wreck of lose.

9. fart macrumors regular

I use my iPhone while on the thread (power walking) almost daily. Loaded it up with the first season of Heros and plow through an episode per workout.

For the weight I've lost, even if I dropped my iPhone it would have been worth it, IMO.

10. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Do you talk on the phone while running or working out?

11. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

I do. That's what I love about it. I don't miss calls while I'm working out.

I place mine in a steady place (not in my pocket), and use the remote control to change songs. Once I got a work call that I would have otherwise missed while at the gym, so I love it.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You need to up that to at least 20 minutes (preferably more) if you plan to burn any fat.;)

13. macrat macrumors regular

I used to take my Treo (as I cannot miss any calls in my type of business), iPod Shuffle, and a small pocket Sony Camera during my one hour runs. I now carry only the iPhone instead of all three devices and I've been doing this now for over a month during my marathon training runs. This is what makes the iPhone such an awesome device and worth the $600 price tag.

Don't worry about damaging it. Just make sure it's secure in your pocket, in a belt case, or in a sports case (Belkin) :eek:

14. APPLEHOARDER macrumors newbie

iphone 4 running damage

will running/ working out with my iphone 4 affect it in the long run? I don't plan on buying insurance on my phone.

15. simple20 macrumors regular

For what its worth I pulled 6gs the other day in an aircraft and my phone was just fine.

16. Seattleite macrumors member

Seattleite

Only 10 minutes per day :confused::p

I run with mine on both the treadmill and outdoors, most days for at least 5 miles or more, 30+ miles per week No issues. They have the Nike+ software on them, so obviously made to work fine with running!

17. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Oh no!

You mean we have to exercise our iPhones now? What is this world coming to? :)

18. extrachrispy macrumors regular

extrachrispy

You'll probably want to at least put the phone in a ziploc bag or the like to prevent sweat from tripping the moisture sensors.

19. oceanocurls macrumors newbie

I've always ran with my iphone I use runkeeper but I'm not on a treadmill no problems yet

20. w3iiipu macrumors member

i run with my phone too...without case or straps! Just hold it in my hand

I use runkeeper and i play music on my 2 mile run

21. oceanocurls macrumors newbie

I just hold it in my hand too I NEED an armband