iPhone and extreme-n

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thumb, Jun 24, 2008.

1. thumb macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I see the new iphone is listed as wireless b/g.

I now have an all draft-n network at home since having b/g devices slow the whole deal down.

Does this mean bringing the new iPhone home will degrade my home network?

Is it no big deal to turn off the iphone's wifi? but having it on wifi at home for iCall's newish service seems cool.

Any thoughts

(sorry if this has been handled to death, search comes with a lot of noise here)

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Degrade your home network....? By having a B/G wireless device?

No, it doesn't. You just won't have those high transfer speeds (just with the iPhone, the computers will still have the speed), but you shouldn't need to transfer things wirelessly anyways since its the iPhone.

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

What he said.

But also make sure you're router is set to having all three: n/b/g...some routers let you set it to only broadcast n.

4. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Incorrect.

If there is ANY b/g device connecting to an N network the speed will suffer for other N capable devices until that specific b/g device drops off the network.

5. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

This is what I had heard. So, anyone with experience regarding this? This would really bum me out.

6. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Just don't use wifi on your iPhone at home then?
    Not sure why you'd need to, if you're home -- why not just go on one of your computers for something?

I can see maybe needing to check up something quick on the phone, and being too lazy to move -- but in those cases, switching to wifi for a short moment won't be that big of a deal, no?

Yeah, N's faster and all -- but it's not THAT big of a deal to lose it for such a small moment. :confused:

7. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Personally, I use the iPhone at home all the time. I have 11 month old twin boys and having the iPhone with me allows me to check my email or something on the web without going to the computer. Sure, it might only take two minutes to check something on the computer, but two minutes for the twins is enough time to remove the caps on the electric outlets, prop up a chair and reach the window or dozens of other dangerous/destructive things they've dreamed up recently.

8. brogwalkerh macrumors newbie

Suggestion

I would suggest using the AirPort Extreme Base Station. I have tried other Wireless-N Devices (Netgear, Linksys, and D-Link), and the AirPort Extreme performs the best. Three of the computers in my household (plus my iPhone) are 802.11b/g, while two others are 802.11n. I have found that Apple's AirPort Extreme speeds did not degrade much at all when performing multiple operations via the WiFi, while the other routers did have varying levels of degradation. The worst for me was the Linksys, then the Netgear, and finally the D-Link. If I didn't have an Apple router, I would use the D-Link. Keep in mind though that the structure of your network and the network topology play a major role as well. Results will vary for each household. The best thing that you can do is experiment with routers and see which on performs the best while using 802.11b/g/n.

9. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Sure, I can see in your situation why using the iPhone a lot at home makes sense. I'm sure there are other similar situations which would require more iPhone use than normal in your own house/apt. I've just heard this particular concern about degradation a lot, and I'm assuming in most cases it's just people wanting n-speeds at all times -- because that's why they got the draft-n network in the first place...for the fastest speeds possible!

I just wanted to point out that while that's nice, and the optimal scenario -- it's not always possible, and not necessarily the end of the world if the speed goes a little lower once in a while. You're still going to have n-speeds most of the time, and the times when you're really going to want it/need it.

10. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Got all the N-Products apple do. 2 Home networks working at my house. 1 is the Apple network set to N only. That uploads at around 2mb a second. When turning that to a/b/n mode that drops to around a 1mb a second max. (This is backing up to a time capsule). But fastest way still is to plug it via ethernet. (20mb/s transfers)

11. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I use a 2nd router just for the iPhones, the Macs are on an N network. Works better that way when sharing larger files between computers.

12. mattrobs macrumors member

Just turn off your iPhone's Wi-Fi when transferring large files. But really, how often are you transferring large files over your network? G-speeds are fine for everything but the latter.

13. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

It's not a matter of just turning the iPhone's WiFi off. There is a very noticable speed difference when the AEBS or TimeCspsule is in "N-only" mode. If I paid for N devices and an N router, I want the best speed possible, especially when moving video files or Time Machine backups.

14. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I have a Time Capsule and I have owned the Airport Extreme Base Station. I thought the Apple products allowed you to have both G and N and still get N speeds on the N devices. I could be wrong, but when I connect my iPhone and my iMac the connection speed on the iMac still shows the higher N connection speed (120 something). Also, I stream wirelessly to Apple TV and have my iPhone always connected to home network and never have any issues.

Also, with the new Apple remote feature I will be connected to wi-fi for sure to use it so the sound throughout the house can be controlled from my iPhone.

As for surfing net on iPhone, I surf the internet around the house via iPhone when my wife is using the iMac.

15. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

N-only 5ghz is faster than B/G/N 2.4ghz.