Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BLUEBLASTER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2016
What is the reason for iPhones not including fast charging like we have on most of the android handsets.

Also would Apple be able to put it in the new 7 models?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Something that someone at Apple would really only be able to answer.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
What is the reason for iPhones not including fast charging like we have on most of the android handsets.

Also would Apple be able to put it in the new 7 models?
Most of the Android phones that offer fast charging use Qualcomm's Quick Charge which requires a Snapdragon processor. iPhones use a different processor so perhaps it isn't supported?

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge

As far as whether the iPhone 7 will support it, I haven't read any rumors that would suggest this. It's possible, but we won't know until it's announced.

use an iPad charger.
If you're interested in charging faster than what the standard charger provides, this is a good recommendation. On my iPhone 6S plus I can get 1% per minute up to about 80% then it slows down.

itsray

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2016
Most of the Android phones that offer fast charging use Qualcomm's Quick Charge which requires a Snapdragon processor. iPhones use a different processor so perhaps it isn't supported?

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge

As far as whether the iPhone 7 will support it, I haven't read any rumors that would suggest this. It's possible, but we won't know until it's announced.

If you're interested in charging faster than what the standard charger provides, this is a good recommendation. On my iPhone 6S plus I can get 1% per minute up to about 80% then it slows down.

this is what i do every time i'm going out. i'll just plug it in while i'm taking a shower or something. its convenient and great. even if its just for 10 minutes. the iPad charger is great for stuff like this.

Reactions: nj1266

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've never had any problem with the speed of charging on my iPhone. Using an iPad charger will help, moreso on the Plus handsets. Make sure you're using a legitimate charger and cable.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Fast charging is a proprietary tech (from Qualcomm I believe). Apple does have means of "fast charging" in a sense that is why a Mac can charge an iPad but just not to the same level as Qualcomms (?) version. They will eventually figure out their own tech for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.