iPhone and file organizing.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jiddick ExRex, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Since the new iPhone will support a variety of documents, how does it support organizing files? Is it currently able to do this?

I would very much like to have the ability to write small notes for when I am on the move and I have a good idea for work or something.

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

it doesnt support a variety of documents
    all it can do is read iwork/word documents from email attachments - they are not saved on the iphone
    the iphone has a notes program, and you open that to read them. thats it

3. Jiddick ExRex thread starter macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Damn. It would be nice if I was actually able to do work on the iphone. Dammit Apple!!! :mad:

4. Project macrumors 68020

I don't agree. It does support quite a wide variety when you think about it.

doc/docx
    xls/xlsx
    ppt/pptx
    .key
    .pages
    .numbers
    txt
    pdf
    mp3
    aac
    wav
    mp4
    mov
    jpg
    png
    giff
    tiff

5. Skyldig macrumors regular

Did i get this right? You can't create folders and subfolders, and save documents in them as you like?

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

ok sorry, i meant iwork and office documents
    reading the OP, it seems Jiddick ExRex would like to be able to create office/iwork documents on the iphone and organise them, which cannot be done
    so in terms of supporting documents in order to edit them, there is only the notes program
    it can view doc, xls, ppt, pages, numbers, key, and pdf, but cannot edit them, therefore not fully supporting them. and i dont think the OP was talking about images, music and videos in terms of documents

no you cant

7. Jiddick ExRex thread starter macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I actually just meant a somewhat slimmer version of TextEdit to write down notes. I will not want to (nor will the iPhone be able to as of yet) write .doc or .pages documents, so that much I was aware of.
    I was just curious as to how to access notes and such. Is it app-dependent (meaning you need to open the app to open the files) or is it file-dependent (you have a portal that lets you see what files are available and doubleclicking sends you to the correct app)?

8. Project macrumors 68020

the iPhone doesn't have a file system so whatever you create belongs to the app in question. Unless its something like an email attachment - opening an MP3 will send it to the quicktime controls.

What I do is create a Gmail account purely for storing documents, with different folders for different subjects. Then just email the file to myself so that I can read it on the go.

When the App Store launches there will almost certainly be better writing tools than the Notes app available.

9. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

You've got that right.

I believe if/and when you choose to upgrade to the 2.0 software in early July, the amount of productivity applications that are going to be available to us through the App Store are essentially not going to have a ceiling. I also think as well as these shareware touch applications, the next logical step for Apple to conquer the enterprise market, is to port their whole iWork suite of productivity apps currently available for Mac OSX, to iPhone OSX. The ability to write, edit and possibly print (through IP) would really send this platform to the for-front of business and corporate users, as well as general users (i.e Writers/Scripters/Students).

It's the next logical step, but whether it's a priority to Apple
    remains to be seen.

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

theres no sharing of documents, text files, notes, etc with the iphone now
    for some reason, apple has not enabled it

there is an app out at the moment for macs that will find the iphone and allow you to upload, download and edit notes on the phone, although it must be jailbroken

notes on the iphone is app-dependant, you cannot see files through a file browser (unless you jailbreak)