iPhone and FM transmitter

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by junker, Sep 10, 2007.

1. junker macrumors 6502

junker

I am considering an iphone purchase, but an Apple store employee just told me that my in-car FM transmitter/charger will not transmit songs.... it will re-charge however.

I don't remember the name of the charger/trans, but it was about 100.00 bucks! (It has the articulating arm and a L.E.D. readout - if that helps identify it.)

edit: found it online --- http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...od+fm+transmitter&Ntk=All&product_code=335918

I was told it wouldn't work. Why? Same connection and the iphone is an ipod, so why not???

This is not an old charger! This has the same connection! I get crap radio stations and love my tunes in the car and on job sites with a radio ....

Is this really the case? Should I get the iphone and never expect to use it without headphones?

I am a long Mac supporter and this sort of engineered obsolescence is not something I often see from Apple Inc. in such a quick time-frame....usually it would be for reasons that are justifiable - like a speed increase

But this? Why would they inhibit this capability????

Anyone?

2. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

I have an AirPlay transmitter and it works just fine with my iPhone.

3. chopper dave macrumors regular

I have a cheap FM transmitter (iRock from RadioShack) and it won't work correctly unless I put the phone in airplane mode. It gets horrible interference from the GSM/EDGE signal. Perhaps this is what the employee was talking about- that no FM transmitter would work well. I am thinking the only solution for me is to buy a new deck with a hard-wired input.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I have an iTrip auto left over from my iPod and it doesn't transmit audio at all, FYI.

5. lampcov macrumors member

Belkin Tunecast Auto

Hey all,

I picked up the new (i think) Belkin Tunecast Auto and it works great with my iPhone. It charges and plays audio. Yes you to get GSM noise, but unless you're switching cells constantly it's really not an issue. I used it in some pretty poor coverage areas and didn't find it obtrusive at all.

Also the FM Transmitter works better than the old Griffin iTrip Auto that I had for my iPod. This is in my GMC Envoy and my POS 93 BMW535 with cruddy OEM radio.

Here's the link on Belkin's page Belkin Tunecast Auto

6. dcombe macrumors newbie

7. bender0069 macrumors member

I have the Macally FM Cup I went on a 5hr road trip this weekend. I turned email to check manually and it worked just fine. Some GSM noise, but it was rare and quickly went away. It charged the phone great. No complaints here. I just found out they have a bluetooth, hands free cup too. I may look into that. On my trip I used the hands free option on my GPS.

8. carman63 macrumors regular

I have a DLO, but mine uses a cable vs dock (transdock micro). And it works fine. You just have to tell it 'no' to when the iPhone asks if you want to go into Airplane Mode.

Here's the DLO compatibility site:
    http://dlo.com/support/iPhone_Chart.tpl?command=showpage&cart=1189612500908350

9. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

Update:

I went ahead and bit the bullet - bought the iphone, regardless of the potential I was told about the charger/fm transmitter incompatibility.

I inserted the iphone, got the message the charger/trns.: "...wasn't made for the iphone and did I want to enable airplane mode?" I put it into airplane mode, tested and....

IT WORKS!

I have to put the iphone into airplane mode to play music through the car radio (no calls can be sent/received).

I haven't tested the recharger ability in NON airplane mode. I would hope that this would then recharge and allow for calls.

So, thus far, it seems to work. I will update if I have issues or problems.

Thanks -

added some pics for reference :)

Also, I show a pic whereby I have to remove the iphone from the clear protective shell to make it fit the dock :( I may take a dremel to it to make it fit...the dock - not the phone!!! :)

Attached Files: