iPhone and Gmail exchange activesync - slow to load?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sephstyler, Aug 15, 2010.

1. sephstyler macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Hope someone on the forum can help with this one.

Have a friend who is experiencing the exact same thing.

both on iphone 4 with 4.0.2 - non JB. both using gmail, him using standard gmail, and I via google apps. Both have set up gmail through the exchange method, with m.google.com as the server.

We can both receive mail, and mail is pushed into the phone quite well, HOWEVER, when we receive an email message, and we open the mail message in close succession of of receiving it, the email can take a unreasonably long time to load.

e.g. receive a text only message with 15 lines of text, once phone notifies of receipt, open mail app, can take up to a minute for this mail item to load.

This happens on both good 3G signal, or even at home on WIFI!

I personally have restored the phone, even as a new phone, only to still suffer the same issue. Sometimes the loading issue affects the mail app so much that once loaded, it can sometimes show the message as no sender or no content even though on the pC it reads fine, else it also crashes the app!

Anyone else experiencing this? have a solution to this?

since im on Google apps, have contacted their support team, and they are working on a diagnosis. but I find it strange that my friend and I seem to not be able to find info of this on the net!

TIA

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Strange, I use the same service (Google Sync) with both my iPad and iPhone. My iPad notifies first, then seconds later my iPhone. Then my MBP (set to retrieve email every 1 minute) gets a Mail notification. I have not gotten any problems from using this setup for almost 2 years now. Since you use Google Apps, is there anyone else that retrieves email from the account with an iphone 4? Do they have a similar problem?

3. sephstyler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply

no, im the only user on my google apps.

also, for got to mention, both my friend and I have exchange boxes for work set up on both handsets, and that account doesnt suffer this issue

we are so perplexed. as we both used iPhone 3's before (not immediately before) and we didnt have this issue then

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Maybe it's the connection? I doubt it's Google's backend and I doubt it's Mail since you restored and set up as a new phone. The only thing that is left is the connection and your settings, Google Apps, Mail.app and maybe your router. Have you tried accessing email through a different connection? Perhaps in a Starbucks or public connection at a library? Sorry if that would be a hassle, I'm only trying to narrow down the bottleneck(s) that is affecting you. :)

5. sephstyler thread starter macrumors newbie

Dont be sorry, appreciate the thought.

We are both on the same network, but it happens to him even on WIFI at work and home, and I at home on WIFI. (my work doesnt have wifi).

Being in Oz, we dont have an awful abundance of open and free wifi Hot spots, so we havnt had the opportunity to do extensive testing over different connections.

Being on WIFI doesnt help, at ALL. same slow speed, high latency.

Its hilarious because once the offending email messages load, if i forward that to my work exchange box, I can open that within seconds with no issues.

strange.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Try setting up Gmail through IMAP using their imap.google.com server, not the m.google.com (which is Exchange) server. You can find more detail instructions in Gmail settings under "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" in the IMAP section. Be sure to choose the Gmail option, not Exchange when it asks you what email service you want to set up (the very first screen). If the issue is still present then it's got to be somewhere in your connection. If the issue is not present, then it's a problem with Google's Exchange servers.

7. sephstyler thread starter macrumors newbie

good idea,

does the gmail/imap option push? afaik, it doesn't, correct?

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't think so. I used IMAP before Google Sync was available for Gmail and it didn't have push but maybe things changed since then. Let me know if the issue is still present.

9. sephstyler thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so this morning the issue is still present, and perhaps even worse than it has been, (its 9:59am Monday here, so Im getting a few monday morning emails).

So, I removed the exchange account and added the account via IMAP.

IMAP loads the messages within seconds! the same problem emails that can take more than a minute on exchange, are opening within mere seconds on IMAP. However, as it is not a push service, I cannot use it moving forward.

This was done on a 3G connection in a congested area. so I think the connection isnt the culprit.

its pointing more to the exchange server....

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You could try setting fetch to retrieve email every 15, 30 or 60 minutes. It's not a really good alternative to push but it works. Is the exchange server handled by Google or your work? I was kind of confused when you said exchange box at work.

11. sephstyler thread starter macrumors newbie

SL:

Yeah, i know i could potentially set it to 15 minutes, but for me, that not really a viable alternative.

Basically I have 2 inboxes, a corporate one as well as a personal one.

The personal one is done through google apps, with my own custom domain, and I connect to that through the iPhone 4 via Google's exchange server, as per outlined here:
    http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

My corporate mailbox is also set up on the handset via Exchange.

I am only suffering this issue in my personal email account (thru Google apps)

Coincidentally - my friend also with a iPhone 4 suffers the same issue through a standard Gmail account.

12. izzisdashiz macrumors member

I tried Google's Exchange options on Friday and was having the same problems. I went back to IMAP.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have this issue as well. Exchange activesync Gmail syncing is quite slow.
    If I open the email too soon after the new email tone, the message may fail to load.
    My workplace blocks POP and IMAP on their wifi network, but the Exchange protocol is open, so I tend to use that for my Gmail. It is slower than IMAP or POP, I suspect due to Google's protocol translation or something similar.

I just kind of deal with it.