iPhone and Google Chrome

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by minardi, Sep 11, 2008.

1. minardi macrumors newbie

The fact that there is no Java or Flash (and not about to get it) on iPhone and that Chrome can interpret these same two on the fly, does it mean that Steve is about to buy into Chrome technology for the iPhone (and for the Mac)?

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Don't think so

Safari normally supports flash and java ass well. On the iphone, and ipod touch not. I don't know why but it doesn't. Probably for the same reasons chrome wouldn't be able to use java and flash on the iphone/ipod touch. Next to that, chrome only works on windows (for the fact that it only works on windows you need to complain at google) also would opera already have made a browser with flash etc for the iphone and touch if it could. But it didn't. So chorme probably wont for the same reason.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

safari is the only browser available for now, and ever, with the iphone

the SDK forbids other browsers

4. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I can understand why no Flash support. How often do you browse the web and notice your browser bogging down with all the flash crap on a page? Think MySpace for a second. Imagine the itty bitty tiny little iPhone processor hamster wheels trying to chug through 500 Flash bits on some page that has no other content but a picture of last night's drunken stupor.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Chrome and Safari are both based on Webkit, and Webkit is opensource, so many of the improvements made for chrome will go back into Webkit, and therefore Safari.

The problem with Flash, is that it still requires another program to operate, Chrome uses the plugins already used on IE to process Flash, and JAVA support has nothing to do with browsers, but the system/OS.

So no, there will be no Flash, until Adobe/Apple develop a plug-in for the iPhone, and JAVA likely will never come because it would need to be integrated with the OS.

Also, don't confuse JAVA with Javascript, while the names are similar they are completely different and incompatible technologies, and Safari for the iPhone handles the latter just fine.

TEG

6. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Amen.

I consider the lack of flash a FEATURE.

7. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

If Apple does ever add Flash capability to the iPhone, I hope it's optional and can be turned off, because I don't like Flash on most websites.

8. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Screw website flash.....just give me a flash for the camera on the next version~!

9. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Well, the last news was that Adobe did say they had flash running in the simulator...

My guess is that it's like the YouTube application. Websites with Flash will show a still image. Tap that to open up the Flash application. Now since YouTube can be used as a standalone application, it gets put on the home screen.

I wonder if Adobe is trying to work with Apple to simply embed the Flash into safari...you'll still get the still image (so it doesn't rofl your iPhone) but when you tap it, it brings up the modal view just like youtube videos in safari after 1.1.5...

Oh yeah, arjen92, one of the developers of Google Chrome is actually using Google Chrome on VMWare. XD Mac version will be up later this year.

10. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

That would be a good solution for people like me who are perfectly happy to have no Flash movies playing on web pages.

11. Trip.Tucker Guest

Like on MacRumors.com for instance.