iPhone and GPS location when at home

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kolax, Jul 3, 2009.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I have no idea why this is happening - it only happens when I'm at my house! Anywhere else, it is fine. If I load Google Maps and tell it to find my location, it'll locate my house, then suddenly shoot off to another part of the city (which even odder is where my old flat used to be, though I didn't have an iPhone when I lived there).

Why is this happening..? It is really frustrating.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Could it be using the Wifi SSID to further pinpoint your location and your wireless point might have been registered at being at the old address? Bit of a stretch but have you tried using the maps with your wifi turned off?

3. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

This sounds like it's most likely the problem. This is where the Assisted in A-GPS come from. It should come back to your current location once it get's a GPS lock tho.

4. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Nice catch on the WiFi.. I turned it off and it finds my location fine without shooting off to a previous address.

I don't understand why it is doing this - I'm living at my parents while Uni is off for the summer, so the internet isn't tied to my old flat, even though it is the same ISP.

5. alexmadison macrumors member

alexmadison

I like this theory

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Is it the same router?

You can check the coverage in your area here

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/coverage.php

And you could submit your wifi point here in an attempt to correct its location.

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Ah yeah, it is the same router which I used at my old address. I'll look into the SkyHookWireless stuff - that should sort it out.

Thanks for clearing that up!