iPhone and GPS Receiver

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by smja, Oct 8, 2009.

1. smja macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone. And I have a TomTom Bluetooth GPS Receiver that I used with my PDA before GPS was built in.

My question is, if I buy TomTom (app) for iPhone, can I use the GPS Receiver via Bluetooth? Would save me going through a new car-mount trauma with this dedicated TomTom unit. Would also mean I can travel abroad with the data roaming off and thus avoid a second mortgage.

Any thoughts? Has anybody tried this successfully?

Thanks

2. lollicup macrumors regular

doubt it

apple doesn't allow a universal bluetooth stack

so far the only things allowed over bluetooth are

voice
    music
    tethering

data/keyboard/other cool things are not allowed

3. strike1555 macrumors 6502

You can use it if you jailbreak. There is an application called "roqyGPS" that allows you to use external bluetooth GPS receivers.

4. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    i've got a 2nd gen Touch(os 3.1), do you know if that can work with the touch if i Jailbroke it? or only with a jb iphone...

thanks

5. smja thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, thanks for replying, shame... don't fancy jailbreaking it just yet until my new one is available on the renew.

I wonder then, following on from this (and perhaps should be a separate thread) if I go for the TomTom mount/gps unit is the docking socket still available? I use a direct feed into my car stereo through it and need this going forward. I realise I could possibly tap the headphone socket but that would mean a new car stereo connector kit.

Thanks
    again...