iPhone and Image Attachment save quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bulldog321, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Bulldog321 macrumors newbie

I successfully downloaded firmware 2.0 for 1st gen iPhone. I noticed that when I save an image from an e-mail, the quality is significantly downgraded. Looking at the e-mail, the image looks to be full quality, but when I save it to Photos, the image looks highly compressed.

Anyone else notice this?

2. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

can someone confirm this. I'm waiting out until the servers are back online 100% before upgrading to 2.0...

Can someone visit my mobile wallpaper site, download a wallpaper and tell me if the quality is decreased as well? Thanks in advance.

3. Bulldog321 thread starter macrumors newbie

I confirmed it myself. In my original e-mail the picture was around 1.8mb. I save it to my iphone and then re-mailed the photo back to another e-mail account. The image became 7kb! Huge loss in quality.

4. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

:eek:
    this doesn't sound good:(

5. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

wow. that's quite a big chunk, I wasn't expecting it to be THAT horrid... especially now with 3G, you'd think even the EDGE network could handle something more than 1mb fairly quickly. :rolleyes:

6. Bulldog321 thread starter macrumors newbie

What really confuses me is that even on the edge network it is downloading the 1.8mb photo attachment just fine. But saving it from the e-mail to the photo gallery causes the compression. However, if I just save the e-mail, then I will have the full resolution photo.

Just don't understand why the operating system is compressing the picture just to transfer it from the e-mail folder to the photo album.

7. woodtrain54 macrumors newbie

when I saved a picture that was optimized for wallpaper the quality seemed to be really good. I also saved one from flickr that was smaller on the site and when i checked my camera roll it was resized to wallpaper size and was very good quality also

8. Bulldog321 thread starter macrumors newbie

I noticed the same thing too. It appears at least with my iphone, that saving images that were attachments to an e-mail is where the compression is taking place.

9. opeyre macrumors newbie

Grrrr

I'm struggling too, developing a site that has some wallpaper images to download on the iPhone optimized version of the site, but images look horrendous!!!

Apple, please correct this, this is ridiculous!

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

When I save pictures from safari the image quality is pretty good, but when I save form email it is horrid.