Iphone AND Ipad 3g users - Advice

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DNAppleGold, Nov 5, 2010.

1. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

I've searched the forum but haven't quite found what I'm looking for.
    I bought my Ipad on day 1 and love it. However, it got ripped off (partially my fault). I am buying a new one - now. (don't talk me out of it). But I[m torn between the Ipad 3g and WiFi.

I travel a lot for business. I had the WiFi only and found WiFi hubs to be plentiful but there were certainly times it would be have been nice to have 3g.

For those of you who have Iphone (or other great smartphones) and Ipad 3g - do you think the extra money (both up front and for the service) is worth it? What plan do you have?

A few other facts: I cannot jailbreak. My Iphone is through my company and they have laid down the law on this issue. I've strongly considered a Mifi card but knowing me, it is one more thing to carry and lose.

2. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

I got a duo-sim from my carrier - eg, I have two simcards, one in my iPad and one on my iPhone 3GS. They both use 3G - but you can't be called if your iPad is using the internet connection and is on 2G. This could be inconvenient for people using their phone for a lot of calls in areas without 3G.

Secondly, having 3G on iPad is awesome. I don't have enough income to go buy a nice plan for my iPad without sacrificing anything else I care about - but if you do, then I at least recommend getting a 3G iPad just so you have the option to use 3G - especially if you use it for business.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

As I've written elsewhere on this topic, as a business traveler it's indispensable. It's a no-brainer compared to the $10-12 daily charge in a hotel and absence of a contract gives you the option of "shutting it off" if you're off the road for a long period. Add to that the flexibility of picking up a micro-SIM if you leave the country and, for me certainly, 3G was the easy and obvious choice.

4. David-fr macrumors 6502

I bought iPad 3G but never activate it. I user tether apps to connect my ipad and get 3G that way, ive a unlimited data plan :p

5. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I have the 64gb wifi and use a virgin mobile Mifi with the $40 unlimited plan. Which is pay as you go as well. But I need it for both my laptop and the iPad. If you only need it for your iPad and dont need unlimited, then the built in is the way to go. As I carry a spare battery for the mifi just in case.

As someone else said it is way cheaper to have, than to pay the over priced fees in a hotel.

6. dmunz macrumors regular

Having the 3G option is very much worth it. I have a 64gb pad and would rather give up the memory than the 3G if I had to choose. So far I've only had to buy the $15 plan and used about half in 20 days. It is really nice for those times when you are not near a hotspot.

FWIW
    DLM

7. lozpop macrumors 6502

When I got the iPad, I canceled the internet plan on my iPhone 3G, and activated a new one specifically for the iPad.

Once I've experienced how is the web on the iPad, I couldn't use the iPhone anymore for web surfing.

Maybe Email is good enough on iPhone, but compared to the iPad — for my needs — is nothing.

8. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

It's worth it for me. But it's a per user setting. :)

I drive a lot. On a break itt's nice to be able to just pull out the iPad and do things on 3G that would be hard to do on the iPhone.

My iPhone 4 is jailbroken and I have MyWi, but I have always got better results just using the iPad. The iPhone battery wears down fast when broadcasting, and the iPad 3G just seems to go on forever no matter what.

So...I know it's a per user setting, but it's worth it to me and I like being able to just pick it up and connect for email or whatever.

9. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

I have an iPhone 4 and iPad 3G and I switch my iPhone's sim card with the iPad's when I use the 3G so that I don't have to pay for extra coverage. I just use the one I am already paying for which is the iPhone. All you have to do is swap sim cards and change a setting in the iPad at it works flawlessly. I don't get to use my phone but that's okay.

Either way, I recommend you get the 3G. I had bought the Wifi version at first but was not happy that I was limited to use it at home or places where there is Wifi. Hope this helps :)

10. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I have 3G and the unlimited plan on my iPad and love it - but I also got my iPhone after they quit offering unlimited plans. If I had the unlimited plan on my iPhone I would have likely jail broken it and tethered my iPad with it.