iPhone and iPad syncing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jumpie, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

So i have both the iPhone 3GS and the iPad.

On the iPad, I am not going to put any music, just movies, tv shows, apps and books. On the iPhone, I'll put all my music and apps. But what i just found out is that since I am not syncing music to the iPad, when i just synced my phone, it removed everything.

I guess my question is, why can't iTunes have profiles for both the iPhone and iPad? This is quite annoying. If anyone knows of a work around, please let me know.

Thanks

2. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

You should be able to do what you want without any issues. Can you describe your issue a bit more? Maybe more details on exactly what your syncing preferences are.

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Also when you setup your iPad did you use the backup from your iPhone?

Not sure treat it would make a difference but as Im not having your issue I'm curious

4. Jumpie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

I set it ip as an ipad. For some reason when I set up the ipad and did not sync music, when I went back to sync to my phone, all the music was unchecked. I'm running late for work now, but I'll see this afternoon if the same happens when I sync the ipad.

5. tivoboy macrumors 68030

hmm

that just doesn't make sense. there MIGHT be a default but it shouldn't take over the settings from other device, unless of course it was setup as an iphone restore/backup, or somehow everything got selected.

itunes will certainly recognize each device separately and sync only what is selected. I don't sync all my music (or any for the moment) to the ipad, and only certain apps, and only certain podcasts, etc. It seems to work fine.