iPhone and iPod Touch Owners?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thebeesknees, Jul 31, 2008.

1. thebeesknees macrumors regular

So, I've read around these forums, and some others, and there are quite a few people who say they own both an iPhone and an iPod Touch. I was curious to know why, because it always seemed to me that the iPod Touch was a stripped down, cheaper (after the thousands of dollars on the service plan) version on the iPhone...

So, anyone want to share reasons someone might own both?

2. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I honestly don't know why you would. I'm getting a 16GB iPhone soon, so I'll hand my 16GB iPod to my girlfriend. Seems simple enough...

However, for folks who bought iPhones BEFORE 3G, I would understand not wanting to go any further than 8GB model, and keeping a higher capacity iPod Touch.

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

i just turned 15 and i have both, i bought an 8 gig Ipod touch, and was admiring an iphone, so i bought one, now i have both. they are very much alike. i have the same songs on both so if i want i can listen to both whenever.

4. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

But why keep both? The Touch is in demand, so it can be sold easily.

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

i have kept the touch because i would be losing money on it. i bought it from someone who got it from apple for free with the purchase of a laptop. it was never opened until i got it. i paid $270 for it, and the highest i have seen for sale (i check craigslist daily) is around $200, alot of people have iphones and dont need the ipods, (same story as me). plus i would rather keep it for a little while as i still use it daily

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Maybe some people who say they have both are referring to their family. I have an iPhone and my wife is getting one. But we're also going to get an iPod Touch, mainly for the kids. But on a forum like this, I would still word it as if I had both an iPhone and an iPod Touch. Simple as that.

7. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

That makes a lot of sense.

8. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

True, you would be losing a little bit of money off of the device's price, but at the same time you would be getting money from the sale. What do you have to gain by using both devices, it is one thing if you have a high capacity touch and the low capacity iPhone, but there is no real point of keeping both as the touch has no features over the iPhone. I would consider selling it, it will give you some money in your pocket.

9. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I totally agree. I know you say you use the Touch every day, but what can it do that the iPhone can't? Why not get a little money back for your purchase? :D

Sure, you won't make all your money back. It's a used product; what do you expect?

10. thebeesknees thread starter macrumors regular

One reason I can see is like, owning an iPhone and winning/receiving as a gift an iPod Touch, or vice-versa. I think if that happened to me, I would use my iPhone as my primary media player, but mess around with my iPod Touch.

11. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Dude, in that case I wouldn't HESITATE to sell the Touch! If I got it for free, that's a $250+ sale right there.

12. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

That is the perfect situation to sell it, as dasikes has said, you are making a complete profit off of something, keep it in the shrink wrap and sell it at full price.

13. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

i might...

14. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I have both: 8gb iPod Touch refurbed (cheap!) and the iPhone 3G 16gb White :D

#1 reason is I play my music through my radio via AUX jack and I hate switching my iPhone when I get a call ( PLUS + many third party jacks are cracking the iPhone 3G and I don't wanna risk it because it happened to my sister :p )

#2 The other reason is when we go on trips, my GF, dad, sis can watch what they want and I can watch what I want or watch together.

#3 Another Reason is the battery life on the iPhone can go down quick so my touch can compensate and save my phone form dying ( sad but true)

#4 Reason is I don't feel like they are the same device, all though the software is similiar, the Hardware on the touch is frickin BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! and the iPhone 3G WHITE is somethin else too, so thats my reasoning :D

15. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

See, what I'm doing when I get an iPhone is trading my Touch for my girlfriend's Classic 80GB for the sake of playing through my radio and storage.

Although, I have to admit: I'm tempted to go against this. After you use a Touch everything else just feels so clunky and unpleasant!

16. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

EXACTLY !!!!!! the touch makes everything else ( even Pod Classics ) seem so LAME!!! :D

17. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I just got an iPhone, and the main 2 reasons for me are:

1: It's only an 1st Gen 8GB. I got it for $80. I can't complain. MUCH better than my current phone. The thing is, it's only 8GB. I have 13GB used on my iPod Touch. I have to pick and choose a lot. Sometimes I want all my music.

2: My mom is still using a shuffle. Now she gets an iPod Touch. She's VERY happy now, and it's close enough to where I can still use it if I need to. (She's agreed. I'm not an Indian Giver. Just a borrower. ;) )

18. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Seriously. After flicking through songs, I don't know if I can go back to a scroll wheel.

19. n00by macrumors newbie

Where did you get it for $80? I wouldn't mind getting one too if its that cheap.

20. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I still have my iPod Touch as well as my iPhone because the Touch looks so pretty in my Bose sound dock. :eek:

I'll probably end up selling it though...I'd prefer the cash.

21. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

It is true: the Touch looks WAY better than the iPhone. That's the only thing I'm sad about getting an iPhone :(