Iphone and Lexus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdz15, Aug 7, 2008.

1. jdz15 macrumors newbie

Does anyone have experience with the pairing/bluetooth for the Lexus. Does the Iphone pair and connect by bluetooth. At this point Lexus says the Iphone are not supported but the dealers say it will?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

For Music - No.
    For Hands Free Speaker Phone - Likely.
    For Voice Dialing - No.

TEG

3. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha jdz15,

I have a 2008 RX350 and had to order it with the Nav system in order to get the hands-free system. I work on a military base, and have to use hands-free if I wish to talk on my iPhone while driving on the base. To the best of my understanding all Lexus vehicles support Bluetooth, in a limited way, with the iPhone (both the 1st gen and iPhone 3G). All vehicles have a hands-free option for Bluetooth and various cell phones, so you can use the iPhone without having to hold it in your hand. The visor over the driver's head contains a microphone and the distant end's audio comes through the vehicle's sound system.

There is voice dialing, of sorts, through the hands-free system - NOT the iPhone itself. It's a little discombobulated, but it works. You can dial by number or by a special voice "dial name". That's the rub, however. There is no way to use Bluetooth to sync your address book over to the vehicle's hands-free system. You have to manually enter in your "Favorites" list. Additionally, you'll have to record the special "dial name" so that the system will know which number to dial when dialing by name.

There is no way to use Bluetooth for music as well, but check out VAIS Technology. They specialize in providing after-market auxiliary inputs to the sound systems of both Toyota and Lexus vehicles. The beauty of their design is that their devices plug directly into the audio head unit of your vehicle so the user can manipulate their auxiliary devices via the stereo controls, just like the radio or a CD. You can also order one device that outputs video to the Nav screen itself, but it's a bit pricey, somewhere around $350 or so.

HawaiiMacAddict