iPhone and Lightning

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andreab35, Jul 25, 2008.

1. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

I have never thought of such a stupid question before, but I had to ask...

So for all of you first gen. users of the iPhone, have you ever thought that you can be struck by lightning with the iPhone just because of the material the back of the iPhone is made of?

When lightning comes around, I usually shut my phone off. I've been hearing too many stories of people getting struck by lightning these days. :eek:

Boy, what paranoia I must have... :rolleyes:

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Hehehe. I've never once worried about being struck by lightning while on my phone. I don't see how it could possibly attract lighting to strike you any more than just being in the wrong place at the right time. Sure, it might be metal, but it being powered on or off shouldn't have anything to do with it.

3. cantankerously macrumors regular

4. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

LOL
    I have a phobia of lightening myself. Maybe standing outside holding a pole would make you a target but i don't know about the phone. I'm glad i don't have the 1gen iPhone since you just put the thought into my head!!!
    :eek:

5. andreab35 thread starter macrumors 6502a

andreab35

I'm not sure if I'm going to plunge for the 3G yet... if AT&T is not reliable in my area, I don't think I'd like to pay an extra $15 a month for service. :D

And I don't mean to put the thought in my head! lol I think now I can reassure myself that I will be safe with my iPhone.

6. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

Actually, regardless of the type of phone you are using, using a mobile phone in a thunderstorm is strongly advised against.

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

8. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I doubt there is enough of anything conductive in any phone to create added risk of lightning strike. Lightning isn't trying to hit metal, it's trying to get to the ground through the easiest path. If that's you, then it doesn't matter if you're holding a phone or not.

Now holding a 30' aluminum pole up into the air while standing barefoot in a puddle in an empty meadow will almost certainly make you an attractive path!