iphone and microsoft echange server

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 49erPress, Dec 5, 2007.

1. 49erPress macrumors newbie

i bought the iphone a few weeks ago. i almost took it back (in fact i stated on here that i had taken it back) but decided at the last minute to keep it.

now, our office is going to move to an exchange server. will my iphone work on a microsoft exchange server? is there anything i can do?

2. robpow macrumors regular

robpow

It works very well, the Exchange server has to be running IMAP and SMTP. I'm using mine with an E2K3 SP2 server and it's been flawless.

Matt

3. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Groan ... yeah, it works very well on the 20 percent of Exchange servers set up for IMAP. My office isn't, of course, so I'm screwed. A more robust solution that works natively with Exchange and allows syncing with Exchange calendars would be a big improvement and something I expect in iPhone software 2.0.

4. 49erPress thread starter macrumors newbie

any idea when we can hope to see that?

5. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see it at MWSF ... you'd think that 2.0 would be out by the time the developer kit is available. Now, does that mean a more robust exchange solution will be included? Perhaps not ... maybe it's something that will have to be addressed with new (third party) software that doesn't use the mail client. But even so, something should be on the market in 1Q08.

There are great things on the horizon for iPhone ... remote control of your Mac is going to be a big feature, whether Apple decides to provide it themselves in 2.0 or let developers take the lead. I think you'd have to be nuts to give up your iPhone today, it's going to get better and better.

6. numlock macrumors 68000

not that i wouldnt mind full exchange functinoality but is there anything to suggest it will come? Isnt microsoft´s entourage the only thing on mac the offers exchange (without imap)?

7. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

There are lots of non-MS mobile devices that have full exchange support, including the Blackberry. It isn't something that requires an MS solution to happen ... it just takes a lot of coding work and I'm sure a third party could come up with a solution ... it won't be free and it may not use iPhone Mail, but I have no doubt that it will happen. BTW, Apple has bought an Exchange license that would allow them to put full functionality into the iPhone ... why they're sittting on it at the moment, I don't know. Maybe it's taking a lot of time.

8. walnuts macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat. There's no way my office will ever do imap support for the iphone. I'd love to see exchange access, but I really don't think its likely.

I don't think mail.app on the mac does direct exchange support. In fact, even entourage doesn't offer "push" or a direct connection to an exchange server on the mac (it checks and updates at an interval). I'm no programmer, and I don't understand why its so difficult, but if even microsoft can't make a direct exchange client, I'd really be surprised if apple or microsoft would do it for the iphone.

9. walnuts macrumors 6502

Isn't that through licensing microsoft's activesync? I wouldn't be surpised if the whole reason why there is no exchange support is because microsoft would insist that there be a "Microsoft ActiveSync" sticker be on every iphone box if they did, and Steve Jobs refused.

10. numlock macrumors 68000

couldnt they use that exchange license on mail.app or is specifically for a mobile device?