iPhone and networking

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by theslaz, Jul 5, 2013.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

I have a Iphone 4 and a wireless router. I'm on holidays and the only internet connection I have is via tethering my Iphone to my Macbook pro. I have successfully set up a network with my wireless router so that I can use my Apple TV in conjunction with my MacBook. Problem is; when I use the router with the ATV; I lose my internet connection as it appears the MacBook can only connect to one network at a time. My question is; is it even possible to do what I want it to do; connect to the internet and still be able to use my network setup???

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Have not actually done this myself but have generic network knowledge and the books say if ur WIFI router has address translation capability u should be able to do it.

Address Translation = firewall = can be hooked up directly to your DSL or cable modem = has a port labeled WAN.

3. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply. I have been successful in getting this thing to work. What I failed to realize was that my MacBook Pro did not have internet sharing turned on ( new laptop; and at home I don't need it turned on). Once I turned it on; my router picked the internet connection up; now all my devices are connected.

Thanks