Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Does the iphone support Nike+iPod? I have the sensor and stuff and I'm considering whether to buy the phone or the touch. The touch having the sensor built in is pretty appealing but does the iphone even have nike+ipod capabilities? Or will that be an update for the next iphone release? Or a firmware upgrade?
Thanks!

exhibit.b

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Nike+ ipod will not work with the iphone, the iphone 3g, or the first gen ipod touch even after the 2.1 update.

johndawg1973

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
yeah... it's pretty bad that it works on my 2nd gen nano and won't work on my iPhone. Sometimes I wonder what the iPhone could really be if the would just let it happen. They want to control it so much that they are suffocating the creativity that they try to create... if that makes sense.

acjrocks

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2008
Maybe they'll just come out with a Nike app that'll use the GPS module? That would be cool.

johndawg1973

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Maybe they'll just come out with a Nike app that'll use the GPS module? That would be cool.

That would be cool, but the NIKE+ isn't all about miles... It's about time, miles, pace... and the sensor/pedometer that attaches to your shoe.

Not sure if the GPS system would be able to track the distance as accurately as the pedometer does.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
That would be cool, but the NIKE+ isn't all about miles... It's about time, miles, pace... and the sensor/pedometer that attaches to your shoe.

Not sure if the GPS system would be able to track the distance as accurately as the pedometer does.

Looking at a Garmin Forerunner 405 - the GPS is the main feature, with any footpod a fall back if the signal goes. The iPhone isn't up to that level yet, but it could be pretty accurate if you're looking at longer distances.

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK

The pedometer is notoriously inaccurate. I actually use a Forerunner 305 for the proper stat tracking and just use Nike+ because I like all the challenges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.