iPhone and Nike+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mashinhead, May 23, 2007.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

If i get an iphone, given it's capacity, i would definately retire my nano. I mean i love the nano and all but I don't see the point in having two of the same thing especially given the price of the iphone.

but i do have a nike plus shoe kit, which can only be used with the nano (although i can't sync my runs through itunes, because i created my account from the nike plus site and not from itunes, and itunes doesn't give a log in option from with in it's interface, just a 'create an account' option, a different matter if anyone know's how to solve it.)

So i want to use the nike plus kit, but not have to keep a nano just to use it. anyone know if it will be possible?

2. neven macrumors 6502a

First, the issue of not being able to enter your Nike username and password in iTunes. I created my account on Nike's website before I actually got the sensor, and when I plug in my iPod, the Nike+iPod tab has a section called "nikeplus.com", with a button to Change the account associated with iTunes. When I click that, I can enter my Nike username and password.

My girlfriend and I have separate sensors, but use the same computer - it's very easy to set up. I'm just saying this to further prove that you should be able to switch account and log in from iTunes.

Now, as for using iPhone as your Nike+ device - I would seriously discourage it, and I think Apple will, to the extent that they won't enable Nike+ on iPhone. iPhone weighs as much as a 30GB iPod, and it's bigger. I really don't think they'll want you to run with it.

3. nutmac macrumors 68040

Yeah, I agree with mashinhead. Although iPhone sounds like a convergence device, it is in Apple's best interest to keep each of the iPods slightly unique.

iPod video will continue to be the preferred device for large music and/or video collection for years to come. Some of the iPod video accessories, such as the iPod Camera Connector and audio recording, will probably work only with iPod video.

iPod nano will continue to be the "tiny iPod" and for active listening (including Nike+) for at least few more years (until "iPhone nano" anyway). And iPod shuffle as the disposable iPod.

4. Til U Drop macrumors newbie

Are we talking about running with something that weights only 3oz. more!? :eek: I mean come on ppl!! Do you pee before you run too, so you don't have that added weight slowing you down?

I run with my iPhone all the time and it's very comfortable and useful....having the nike+ work with it would be a big plus so I could have my phone with my while I run just in case I need to be contacted.

5. muttley1211 macrumors member

I run with my iPhone too... no problems. I bought one of those arm band holders for it and I don't even notice it once I start going.

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes, but that's not the point, Apple is not going to let the iPhone to run the nike+ thingy because that way if you really really want it you' ll still buy the nano to use it even if you already have an iPhone;)

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that is true. but it would be nice if the nike+ did work with the iPhone

8. Til U Drop macrumors newbie

I think greed is too much of a priority/motivation for apple. You're #1....let it go and satisify your customers!!!!! :mad:

Hopefully those who've done the jailbreak can make something work ;)

9. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

buying nano too

I agree, even though I have an iphone to replace my old nano, apple will probably end up making me buy another nano to be able to use the nike+. As they probably have figured out, I've invested too much in the nike+ shoes, the chip, the nike+ armband, etc., to just let it go, so i'll have to replace my old nano as well to keep using the system. Apple is positively diabolical!

10. Til U Drop macrumors newbie

I picked up the first gen nano 1gb on eBay for around $35, and it's working really well with my Nike+

11. Cubsfan macrumors member

Should be pretty easy to write a program that uses iPhone's GPS and uploads the run to Nike+ (I'm pretty sure there's an API). I don't have the time, but that might be the best of both worlds. Not that apple would probably allow it.

12. Yixian macrumors 65816

So are we iPhone users gonna be able to use Nike+ like the touch can now?

13. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

We might get an app like that but uses GPS instead I'd be pretty happy with that. We don't need the Nike+ dongle/pad thingy GPS works just as well.

14. miraage macrumors newbie

http://www.runkeeper.com/ may fit the bill. i'm surprised and disappointed at Apple not going the extra mile to add support for the external dongle on the iPhone.

15. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah but run keeper wont sync with nike+ accounts which its a pretty important thing for a lot of people, i was actually expecting an app or somehting for the older iphones to be able to use the transmiter... what a kick in the balls