Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truc0011

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
I have another issue, I replaced the audio ribbon on my iphone and now the phone thinks the headphones are plugged in when they aren't and if I plug them in the phone thinks they aren't in there. Like it is backwards.

Any ideas what I missed??

GogNav

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Hi,

I have ordered TWO new headphone-jack parts for iFixit. Here are my observations :

If i disconnect the hole set of buttons, i hear the sound from the keypad for example. When I connect it, no more sound.

Then I put in my headphone : sound comes back on the iphone (but not the headphones!). Conclusion : when the headphone are in, the Iphone thinks he is in normal mode (so sound comes out normally) but when the headset are removed, the iphone might think headset are in, so disactivates the sound of the iphone ! Bottom line : it works great, but in reverse order !!!!

Any ideas ?

GogNav

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
I have spent so many hours ... hopefully one can help me. Here are my new observation :

Here are two different Iphone. In the first case, everything is ok, the Iphone is working well. In the second, their is no sound if the headset is not in, but there is sound through the speaker of the iphone if the headset is in !!

sound_ok.jpg

sound_not_ok.jpg

So it is not a "restore settings" problem, nor a bad "contact", it really looks like the "switches" are "inverted".

What do you think ?

truc0011

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
I agree, I have also purchased two cables and they function the same....reverse. I agree the switch is inverted. Has anybody installed one of these cables and had it work?

GogNav

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Hi,

Well I did !

You have two parts : one that moves to the right when the headset is in. The other one, on the left of this first part, doesn't move. So, the first part goes from the left to the right, all this beeing on the "right" of the part that doesn't move. So my idea was : put the moving part on the LEFT of the 2nd part, so that it would always go from left to right, but being on the left : so no headset in, the two parts don't touch, but when inserted, they touch and it works !

truc0011

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Hi,

Well I did !

You have two parts : one that moves to the right when the headset is in. The other one, on the left of this first part, doesn't move. So, the first part goes from the left to the right, all this beeing on the "right" of the part that doesn't move. So my idea was : put the moving part on the LEFT of the 2nd part, so that it would always go from left to right, but being on the left : so no headset in, the two parts don't touch, but when inserted, they touch and it works !

I tried this but when you move the moving piece on the left of the stationary piece the headphone jack doesn't want to go in the port correctly. It's like the moving piece is in the way of the headphone plug. I can make it so the phone doesn't think the headphones are in though. Just make the two touching pieces not touch any more. Do you have any other insight that might help me do this?

GogNav

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
You are right... is not evident so that the headset can go in. At no point it goes really in "Smoothly" but fair enough. What i did was that once the copper plate was on "the other side" i flatten it a bit. And i tried to put it as close as possible to the stationary part.

Don't forget that when you put the headphone jack back on the rear panel, the headset doesn't go all the way in like if the piece was alone...

wabby

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
I have almost the same problem. The iPhone worked perfect until yesterday when I upgraded to 2.1.

So far so good i though, until I went i my car to take a drive. In my car i have a DICE dockingstation connected to a Alpine headunit. Connected with USB and plays lossless.

When I connected after the upgrade the headunit found the songs and played them, but no sound.
CIMG1440.JPG

So I've tried several ways to get the sound back.
- Reinsert the iphone to the dockingstation with playing music and no music.
-- No sound

When I took the iPhone out of the dockingstation the phone didnt play songs at all.... no sound, I fixed that by calling someone and hang up again.

But problem isnt solved... I still want my sound back, so I tried several more things.
- reboot the phone
- reinsert severaltimes
-- But still no sound.

At last i figured a way to get sound.
- Turn the iPhone off with HOME + PWR button, but it in the dockingstation and turn it one... 1 of 3 tries and you might get sound.... Untill someone calls you!!! GRrr...

After reading this thread I will also try the headjack trick and reset settings and see if that might help.

Keep ya posted.

EDIT: Reset Settings did not work...

truc0011

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
I have almost the same problem. The iPhone worked perfect until yesterday when I upgraded to 2.1.

So far so good i though, until I went i my car to take a drive. In my car i have a DICE dockingstation connected to a Alpine headunit. Connected with USB and plays lossless.

When I connected after the upgrade the headunit found the songs and played them, but no sound.
CIMG1440.JPG

So I've tried several ways to get the sound back.
- Reinsert the iphone to the dockingstation with playing music and no music.
-- No sound

When I took the iPhone out of the dockingstation the phone didnt play songs at all.... no sound, I fixed that by calling someone and hang up again.

But problem isnt solved... I still want my sound back, so I tried several more things.
- reboot the phone
- reinsert severaltimes
-- But still no sound.

At last i figured a way to get sound.
- Turn the iPhone off with HOME + PWR button, but it in the dockingstation and turn it one... 1 of 3 tries and you might get sound.... Untill someone calls you!!! GRrr...

After reading this thread I will also try the headjack trick and reset settings and see if that might help.

Keep ya posted.

EDIT: Reset Settings did not work...

Your problem is different than mine, my issue occured after I replaced the headphone jack. At no time did this headphone jack ever work. It's a junk jack from ebay.

truc0011

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
You are right... is not evident so that the headset can go in. At no point it goes really in "Smoothly" but fair enough. What i did was that once the copper plate was on "the other side" i flatten it a bit. And i tried to put it as close as possible to the stationary part.

Don't forget that when you put the headphone jack back on the rear panel, the headset doesn't go all the way in like if the piece was alone...

I thought about breaking the stationary copper plate and glueing it to the black plastic of the headphone jack(essentially moving it over)....that way it work work like the original jack. But not sure if that would work.

wabby

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
Your problem is different than mine, my issue occured after I replaced the headphone jack. At no time did this headphone jack ever work. It's a junk jack from ebay.

Okej, my problem looks more like a software problem.. Want to restore back to 1.1.3 or 4, but not sure how thats possible :S

YoungCreative

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Ohio
Same problem with no sound

I reset and then restored my iPhone (1st gen) to no avail, so I took it to the Genius Bar where the Genius "cleaned it." The problem went away and everything was great for at least one hour and my sound disappeared again. During that time I didn't even use the headphones.

Knowing that a minority of iPhone users will not even look at these forums, much less post, I'm guessing that this "no sound" problem with the headphone jack switch is much more common than we think. :mad:

rugerio

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
Iphone sound disappears?

Have you all tried checking on the top left hand side of your iPhone to see if there is a little red button showing by the top left hand side switch?
I like many others tried everything i could think of to get my sound back and then i noticed a mention on a similar forum to this one that all you had to do was to switch that switch back so the little red button is nt showing.
That was all there was to it.I'm back to normal.Happy again.
I think this is the Silent Switch so you can understand why you can't hear anything when the red button is showing.Hope this helps.
Best Wishes,
Rugerio,

drumguy1975

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
i just got my iphone last night and it's bugging the crap out of me. i can't get most of the sounds to work. i have gone under settings and tried to listen to ringtones (they work), but the message tones don't work, nor does any sound from the ipod or youtube. however, when i plug in the earbuds, all the sounds work. i have done a reset, restore, and tried plugging/unplugging the earbuds multiple times, still with no luck. ARGH!

Chris2Point0

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2009
No Sounds from Speaker

Ok so i have a similar issue. Mine is a 16g jailbroken iPhone which came with 1.1.4 firmware. My problemsl started when my iPhone suddenly screwed up and would'nt load past the apple logo screen. I did a full restore and unlocked and jailbroke it again, and it was working FINE. One morning i was playing sound through speakers and earphones, later that day, nothing. No sounds at all. And it wont even start to play in iPod. Exactly like Mr Pineapples.

The solutions i have tried [taken from various posts including this one]:

"Try plugging and unplugging in your headphones 5 or 6 times. That often fixes the problem."

"One thing I noticed was that each time I plugged the earphones back in was that the last thing I was listening to through the player would start back up. So, I switch the phone to listen to something, anything else besides a song. Say, your ringer. Then it works fine."

"Go to ipod > songs > cover flow orientation
Notice in the upper left the song/player is PAUSED.
Unpause the song.
Exit ipod mode.
Earbuds work."

"1.) Plug in headphones.
2.) Play a song.
3.) While the song is playing through the headphones, pull the headphone jack out. This will pause the music.
4.) Press play on screen. The music should resume, now through the iPhone external speakers."

" 1. Plug in the earphones.
2. Play something in the iPod. Anything.
3. Turn off the phone.
4. Unplug the earphones
5. Turn the phone back on.
6. Rejoice at the sound working once again."

Nothing works. If somebody has any idea whats wrong please help.

I want my iPhone working again!

Thanks,

Andrew Lowe

This worked GREAT for me!

ddd910

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
I’ve had this issue about once a fortnight now, since I got my UK iPhone on November 9th, and none of the so-called ‘fixes’ work for me (although that could be because they’re very much ‘try this till it works’, and not particularly scientific).

One thing I noticed, though, is that I seem to have found a rather odd fix that works for me:
  1. Plug in the earphones.
  3. Turn off the phone.
  4. Unplug the earphones
  6. Rejoice at the sound working once again.

Granted, I’ve also had it fix itself rather mysteriously on other occasions, but this seems to reliably fix it. Hopefully, I’ll have it exhibit the problem again next week (and I’ll know what steps to avoid) and I can get the Genius Bar to have a look at it.

<edit>It’s also worth noting that, when I lose sound on mine, the only sounds that work without headphones/bluetooth/speakerphone are ringtones and alarm tones. UI sounds do nothing (no key clicks, no lock/unlock noise, etc.).</edit>

Thanks Stevie!! It worked!!
I tried restoring my iPhone 2G to firmware 3.1.3 and jailbreak+unlock with dev team's "redsn0w" software but still no sound.

Tried your method and it fixed the problem right away.
The trick is to turn off the phone WHILE ipod is playing. So for those of you who is giving this method a try, DO NOT close ipod first then turn off the phone!! Hold down the power button while ipod is play a song with the headphone plugged in. Slide to turn off the phone. Then unplug the headphone after the phone is completely turned off. Turn the phone back on.

ellieanita

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
Thanks Andrew... (whose definitely NOT baffled)

Dear Andrew

Thank you so much for taking the time to post help on this forum. :)

I had tried everything from rebooting,itunes,software updates, the works, even switching off while a song was playing and unplugging... :mad:

The only thing that worked for me was these simple steps (and only these):
1. Go to ipod > songs > cover flow orientation
2. Notice in the lower left the song/player is PAUSED.
3. Un-pause the song and play, turn it the right way up
4. Pause the song again while holding your breath (breath bit isn't essential)
5. Exit ipod mode

I can't tell you how good hearing the click click or typing a text was!!
I would never have discovered that fix if it wasn't for your help Andrew, thanks a million!

:) x :cool:

Ok so i have a similar issue. Mine is a 16g jailbroken iPhone which came with 1.1.4 firmware. My problemsl started when my iPhone suddenly screwed up and would'nt load past the apple logo screen. I did a full restore and unlocked and jailbroke it again, and it was working FINE. One morning i was playing sound through speakers and earphones, later that day, nothing. No sounds at all. And it wont even start to play in iPod. Exactly like Mr Pineapples.

The solutions i have tried [taken from various posts including this one]:

"Try plugging and unplugging in your headphones 5 or 6 times. That often fixes the problem."

"One thing I noticed was that each time I plugged the earphones back in was that the last thing I was listening to through the player would start back up. So, I switch the phone to listen to something, anything else besides a song. Say, your ringer. Then it works fine."

"Go to ipod > songs > cover flow orientation
Notice in the upper left the song/player is PAUSED.
Unpause the song.
Exit ipod mode.
Earbuds work."

"1.) Plug in headphones.
2.) Play a song.
3.) While the song is playing through the headphones, pull the headphone jack out. This will pause the music.
4.) Press play on screen. The music should resume, now through the iPhone external speakers."

" 1. Plug in the earphones.
3. Turn off the phone.
4. Unplug the earphones
6. Rejoice at the sound working once again."

Nothing works. If somebody has any idea whats wrong please help.

I want my iPhone working again!

Thanks,

Andrew Lowe

pauladidonato

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Ureka

i tried all of the suggestions below to no avail... then I decided to delete all my apps.. that's right... all of them.. I had a suspicion it was related .. and sure enough.. .SOUND!

TheIpodIHelper

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
Well My bro had the same problem he said that the speaker blown out well that means u have to open the iPhone and replace the speaker with a new one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.