iPhone and o2 insurance problem.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mashiach, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

So last year like many people I qeued up on the day of the release to get a brand new iPhone 3gs with o2.

I had a previous contract with them on a Sony Ericsson phone with gold insurance priced at £4.99.

Now when I upgraded to the iPhone I was asked if I wanted insurance which I turned down as at the time I couldn't afford the extra cost to my bill a month.

I assumed like most people would that my gold insurance for a phone I no longer used would be canceled.

Low and behold I recently checked my plan and have noticed I am being charged still for the gold insurance which is not valid with the iPhone as the insurance plan on o2 is the premier insurance plan.

now the new iphone4 is on it's way and I think I have a good case against o2 for them to give me the new iPhone with this huge error they have made.

What do you all think. Where do I stand with this.

Cheers in advance.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This is a joke right? If so well done :D

Otherwise: you had a contract. You did not cancel the contract. So you kept paying. So far this is 100% your fault. Now you might persuade a court that the contract was unfair and in that case you would be entitled to a refund of the cash you've paid, perhaps with interest.

No-where does this entitle you to a new phone.

3. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

Obviously I don't think they owe me new phone.
    I was wondering if I kicked up enough fuss what they would do about it.

4. Stiss macrumors 6502a

You have a 50/50 chance of getting a refund on the insurance paid IMO. They will not just give you the new phone though.

5. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

Fair enough. I still find it strange that it is the customers responsibility to cancel insurance on a contract that doesn't exist any more. Just seems common sense to me that it would all be transferred over by them seeing as they are the company that provides this service.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The contract does exist. Just because you have a new phone does not mean that the contract you entered into is not still insuring the phone you no longer choose to use. If I sell my car I have to tell my insurance company to cancel my insurance...

I would also be interested in who the contract is actually with. O2 or an external company who underwrite the insurance. The latter is somewhat likely.

7. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

The insurance is directly with o2. I honestly thought it was all bundled together with the phone contract. As they call it a bolt on. So at best I will be refunded the insurance money.