iphone and photos...size issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by design8r, Dec 11, 2007.

1. design8r macrumors newbie

right so here's the deal, i have about 250mb in photos which when i sync to the iphone become 3.2gb!!!

not cool as i want the space for music and vids....any ideas how to deal with this? apart from trashing the pics?

2. memesmith macrumors regular

Sounds very weird. People have complained in another thread because their photos are being shrunk in file size when they are synced to the phone. How many photos are you actually syncing? Are you using iPhoto to sync from? Are you sure when you are measuring the size of your 250mb of photos that those are full files, and not low-res thumbnail previews?

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i would personally do a restore to begin, then see if that helps

4. design8r thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for the answers guys...i'm syncing about 2500 photos but i shrunk them all before at 480x320 so they come our around 20-30k each...yes very strange indeed. i may do a restart see what happens

5. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

The only thing I can think of is that you shrunk them on iPhoto and that iPhoto kept the original ones as backup (like it is set by default to do) and when you sync it sync both the resized copy and the original one.

You can download a program that will go through your iPhotos and delete all the original backup copies. Can't remember the name atm, sorry.

Make a backup though before you try it out !

6. design8r thread starter macrumors newbie

i shrunk them through acdsee and i have just re-synced them: same thing 255mb become 3.2gb..and i noticed in the folder where i keep my photos iphone creates a folder called 'iphone photo cache' which is 3.2gb

7. rayward macrumors 65816

iTunes automatically resizes photos to be optimised for the screen's resolution, so there's no need to downgrade high-res photos yourself (it leaves the originals alone). Maybe try deleting all the photos you doctored up for your phone, and simply syncing your original photos.

FWIW, I have an occasional problem where the "Other" content on my iPhone (software etc.) gets bloated to over 3gig and starts pushing off photos and the like. To clean it up, I have to do a restore, and then hope that the sync doesn't recur. I sync at least once a day, and this happens about once every two weeks. I do use a PC for now, so I'm hoping that this goes away when Santa brings me my new iMac.

8. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

You don't need to shrink them. iPhoto shrinks them when it transfers them to the iPhone.

Yes people complain about this, but I have never seen a good photo viewing experience that used full-sized photos on a handheld(ie PSP, Treos). They are just not powerful enough or have the memory to do it like a full sized PC can. I like that it auto-sizes the pictures before transferring and thus letting me zip through photos very quickly.

9. kingsxrocks macrumors newbie

i'm having the same issue right now too.. i have 1.6 gb worth of photos that turns into 3.4 gb worth of space on the iphone.. really frustrating and i don't know how to take care of it.

10. kingsxrocks macrumors newbie