iPhone and Rogers EDGE Data (Canada)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Entourage12, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Entourage12 macrumors member

Hello all,

So I just got off the phone with customer support for Rogers in Canada. My plan right now has a $20 Communication Package that includes Unlimitted "On Device Mobile Internet".

After battling with her for 20 minutes she says to me that for me to benefit from the plan I need to use the phone that they assigned me (a ****** Sony W580i) and if not I will be charged at 5cents/kb for using my iPhone. She says that when I put my SIM card into my iPhone they are "notified what phone it is in" and that the iPhone "receives different types of data than blackberry's and other phones".. I'm here thinking ******** so i'm hoping for some sort of confirmation.

The new Unlimitted plan has been out for about 3-4 months now and it used to be 5MB. I had been using my iPhone regularly but making sure that I did not break the 5MB limit because 5cents/kb is insane. After they released the new package I did one month where I broke the 5MB to test it. My bill showed up as 5235kb/month, charge of $0.00.

What do you think? Use the internet as if it is unlimitted or risk 1k+ phone bills atleast?

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

They can definitely know the difference between phones. You'd have to spoof your Sony IMEI number on the iPhone to conceal yourself.

3. abz786 macrumors 6502

how do u do that, i am in the same boat as he is in haha
    bills been getting so high up cause i kept checking my e-mail and ****
    ROGERS PLANS SUCK RIGHT NOW!!! :-(

4. billabong macrumors 6502

Even if you changed it, I don't think it would lower your bill. They will still see you using large amounts of DATA.