Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ferrarofilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Is it possible to use Skype on Iphone 3G?
If yes, how?
If yes, is it efficient?

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
Fring, the free IM app, lets you make Skype calls. However it will not work over 3G unless you get the patched version, which would require a jailbreak. :)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I finally got Skype (through Fring) to work reliably on my iPhone using wifi. Of course, now that I have something like 1200 rollover minutes saved it hardly seems like I need it. But you never know.

ferrarofilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Explanation?

What do you mean by jailbreak?
I got a 3G purchased in Australia legally unlocked and with last apple software.
Will it or will it not work?

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
What do you mean by jailbreak?
I got a 3G purchased in Australia legally unlocked and with last apple software.
Will it or will it not work?

Jailbreaking is basicly a hack that allows you to do things Apple wont let you. You can install Cydia, where lots of free jailbreak apps are available, and you're able to SSH onto the phone and modify files and such.

So with a jailbroken phone you can install non-official App Store apps, such as patched versions of apps.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
skypeout sounds awful on fring for me.

Anyhow, it has been reported that skype is working on an official client for the iphone. Looking forward to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.