iPhone and T Mobile Low Band Freq & Chips

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fabienne, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

A while back I was reading that the big problem T Mobile users had with their iPhones was that the chip in the iPhone was not meant to be used efficiently with the low band frequencies that T Mobile had bought and was trying to use. Other phones were just fine with them, like Samsung and other 'droids, but the iPhone would have to have a new sort of a chip to use T Mobile's frequencies.

Then I heard that with the iPhone 6S all that had changed, that Apple had fixed the problem and come out with a chip which could handle the T Mobile low frequencies. I asked my husband (he has the 6S and I have a 6). He said that he gets fewer dropped calls, he thinks. How about you? Have you noticed any improvement in coverage with the 6S or heard about Apple improving their chip so it works better with T Mobile? I haven't but this topic isn't very popular in general so I suspect no one has been rushing to write it up.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not a fix, the 6S just included band 12 for Tmobile.
    But Tmobiles band 12 is not so widespread and coverage is still rolling out in certain areas in the US.
    If you area doesn't have Tmobile band 12 running then the 6S with the band 12 included will not make a difference cause its not available to connect to it for better building penetration.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

How awhile back is awhile back?

I ask because when T-Mobile originally got the iPhone it was about six months or so after the releae of the iPhone 5. Apple had to make a special T-Mobile iPhone 5 for T-Mobile's AWS frequency in order for the iPhone 5 to work on T-Mobile.

But every T-Mobile phone after that would have been functioning just fine on T-Mobile's frequencies.

Is that perhaps what you might have been referring to?

4. Fabienne thread starter macrumors 65816

Fabienne

In December 2014 I was reading an article about T Mobile and its use with iPhone, and also in May of 2015 there was a story on the T Mobile site talking about which phones would work with their low band frequencies and I noticed that iPhone was not among them. The article on T Mobile said that they would be working with iPhone but didn't give more information than that.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ahhh, ok.

Yeah, that's as AJ said. Band 12. Which, if you're not in a T-Mobile area that is broadcasting Band 12, doesn't then really do you much good anyway - until T-Mobile turns it on.

6. VolceOntra macrumors 6502

VolceOntra

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

8. Chargerdan macrumors member

That same site has a map. You can get to it by clicking the 700MHz LTE Map link at the top. Or just click the one below.

http://www.tmonews.com/700mhz-lte-map/