iPhone and T-Mobile service question...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dapetrun, Oct 8, 2011.

1. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

Supposedly, there are over one million iPhone owners using their phones on T-mobile. Is it possible to use and iPhone on T-mobile (or any other service provider) withOUT a data plan? Or perhaps a pay only for the data used type of plan? I think paying for data each month that you don't ever use is the main reason I never made the jump to smart phones. Any one hear of a work around for this?

2. utl768 macrumors 6502

on prepaid you can

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yes, we have a T-mobile plan with phone, unlimited sms, no data. we are currently using unlocked Iphone 4 with Gevey sim. Only checking mail/surfing internet while there is wifi available. Ofcourse, you can check email anytime you want, but there will be charge from T-Mobile for this if the data access through sim and not wifi.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, as long as the iphone is unlocked then it can be used on Tmobile without a data package.

5. Justim macrumors 6502

You'd be surprised how much data you can use without realizing it. A lot of apps use data even when you don't realize it. Even The built-in iPhone apps use data. For example: Weather, Picture Messaging, Siri (proper dictatation), Reminders App (Geo-fencing), Camera App(Geo tagging), Maps App...

If your question is "Can I use an iPhone without being charged for data?" then ask T-Mobile to block data access, or never set up the proper VPN to begin with. You can always connect to wifi for your data needs.

Personally, the iPhone is worthless without a data plan. And T-Mobile's data plans are so much cheaper than any other carrier.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I concur with Justim that the iPhone is worthless without data plan. However, for some people they rather like the look of the iPhone and that the reason they go for it.

For me, I have been using IPhones in the past, know lot about iPhones I.E jail breaking, unlock, take it apart, fixing it etc... But now, I am using WP7 now, personally, I think WP7 phone is awesome especial the latest Mango software. However, one thing I miss is the wifi tethering on the iPhone.

7. Justim macrumors 6502

Bleh. I liked you up until that WP7 sphill. ;)

But I bet those are the same way. A lot of core features use data. Never actually used one though.

8. dapetrun thread starter macrumors regular

dapetrun

No, I agree the iPhone without a data plan would NOT be very beneficial, but I certainly wouldn't use anywhere near the minimum 2 GB/month that Verizon Wireless charges. That was the reason we went with AT&T on the wife's iPad 2. I just feel that you should only be charged for the data you use, not some ridiculous amount the carrier wants to gouge their customers each month. They are too greedy and it should be obvious to the FTC that their is a certain amount of price fixing coordinated among all the carriers.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You can always turn off data access. That's what I do when I don't have a data plan.

10. misterxdonut macrumors newbie

Unless you're tethering and watching videos/downloading constantly throughout the day, I doubt you'll reach that limit for the everyday user. Besides, there's almost always a wifi connection that you can use.

I find that using tmobile's edge network to be sufficient for push email and other small functions such as using maps. But all other data-intensive work I don't use my edge on the go, but wifi. Tmobile's data plan is slow, but cheap and works for me. I think the tradeoff is fair.