iPhone and T-mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Captnroger, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Captnroger macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have an unlocked iPhone that's working fine with my T-Mobile SIM card and blackberry data plan. Everything works fine, just that the speed is a little slow even though I put in the edge network settings and the Edge symbol does show.

I called t-mobile to ask about whether or not I was incurring any data charges and they said no. I then asked about other data plans and told the guy why. He got very excited hearing I was using an iPhone on their network and recommended their "total internet package" to give me the best possible speeds.

Anyone using this plan? Any problems? I don't want to 'break' my data capabilities by switching and was just looking to verify it works.

Thanks.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So he's implying that they cap your Blackberry data service speed? I'd want to know more. What exactly are they saying this new package gets you that you don't already have.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

A year or two ago, when T-Mobile added Hotspots to their Total Internet (EDGE) plan and raised the price from $19 to $29, a lot of people who just wanted EDGE figured out that T-Mobile's $19 BlackBerry plan worked fine for that.

T-Mobile's since (a week or two ago?) lowered the price of the Total Internet package back down to $19, so for the same price that you're paying for the BlackBerry plan, you can get EDGE + Hotspots.

At least that's what I've picked up from over at HowardForums.com

AFAIK, they've never done any speed capping on their plans.

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

by "total data plan" was he referring to the one with the hotspots as well? maybe he meant giving you more wifi options...???

5. sashok macrumors newbie

I just unlocked my iPhone and am using the T-mobile data plan. I called them initially and they said they had a promo going that dropped the price from $29 to $19. I got the same response from the customer service rep as you, Captnroger, about my using iPhone on the network. They asked me how I did it and all the good stuff.

Anyway, I'm using their data plan right now and it's slow, but works well besides that. I think you might need to reconfigure your EDGE settings to work with the new data plan (or maybe not, I don't know). I'm getting the same load times as my friend with the iPhone on ATT.

6. Captnroger thread starter macrumors regular

thanks all, that's what I figured. For the same price, it includes the wifi hotspots so I switched over this morning. When it activates I'll post my results.

7. Icyy macrumors newbie

How did you unlock your iphone?

How did you unlock your iphone? If you could point me to a reliable unlocking solution, that would be great.

8. stevehp macrumors 6502

http://www.jailbreakme.com

Follow the steps.

Only works on 1.1.1 iPhones

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, the next irk on the complaint list is that the BB plan for the same price does not include hotspot access.... unless they changed that? :eek:

10. Icyy macrumors newbie

I just bought my iphone, so I probably have the latest version. Does anyone know of a unlock for the latest version of the iphone?

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Check:

http://www.modmyifone.com

for the latest happenings.