iPhone and video calling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pp1gonzo, May 24, 2008.

1. pp1gonzo macrumors newbie

Interesting post on products about the 3G iPhone and video calling. If Apple can really pull this off, they are going to seriously change the way we think about mobile calling. Wonder if Apple TV has a future in this mix.

2. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

This is what I am personally waiting for. This will be the deciding factor for me whether or not I get the new iPhone.

3. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

Oh yea!

Amen. this is my deciding factor as well. i will buy day 1 with this feature, or in 6 months probably without.

4. neven macrumors 6502a

And before the "who NEEDS this??" mob rolls in, some examples of people who could and would really use video phoning:

- Students away from home
    - People who travel on business
    - People who'd like to stay in touch with their families
    - Kids who spend ages toying around with webcams

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This is exactly why I want video chat, I work about 90 miles
    away from home and I don't always get go home when I want, so using
    my iMac at home and my iPhone I'd like to use video chat to stay in touch
    with my family wile I'm away.

6. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Hardly anyone uses it although it's a nice to have.

7. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

AT&T is what is holding back video calling in the US. dont think that just because you get a front facing camera that all of a sudden you can make video calls.

8. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Eh?

AT&T's 3G network should be quite capable of hosting video calling.

9. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

my point is that its not cell phone hardware holding us back because there are plenty of phones already with front facing cameras for video calling. its not really something apple can do, AT&T has to offer the service. they currently only provide one-way video sharing.

10. frosse macrumors 6502a

I don't see how Apple can change the way we communicate since video calling has been around for years in Europe. I guess it goes for you Americans.

11. DreamPod macrumors 65816

I think video calling is just a gimmick, a way to sell 3G phones. Even in Europe where it's been around for a while most people don't use it.

12. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I agree that it is just a gimmick presently, what I am hoping is that Apple will do it in such a seamless way that it becomes a useful everyday tool. A little over a year ago a touch screen phone was considered a gimmick, most of the features on the iPhone were and still are really considered gimmicks on other phones. That's what's been great about the iPhone is it takes the existing technology available in the cell phone market and makes it useful.

13. ScoobyDoofus macrumors member

In my experience, I've only used video calling over 3G when drunk to pull stupid faces at my friends. It would be nice to be able to have face to face contact with my partner when we're apart because of business trips or whatever though.

However, if this was implemented in a way that lets you use this hypothetical front camera over //wifi// for, say, iChat - rather cool. Skype would be even better.