iPhone and Vodafone UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soulghost, Apr 24, 2009.

1. soulghost macrumors regular

Found this UK login beta portal that Vodafone have setup for the iPhone.
    It has a RSS reader/portal with many iPhone specific features.

You can sign up using your iphone or pc

http://portal.beta.vodafone.com

Now why would Vodafone setup a UK portal for a handset which is exclusive to their biggest rivals o2.........Unless they were expecting to sell the iPhone themselves.

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

3. stomer macrumors 6502a

I think Vodaphone is just being pragmatic. There are lots of web surfing iPhone, and iPod touch users out there and Vodaphone would like to drive traffic to their website.
    Vodafone isn't just a mobile phone service provider but also a content provider.

The iPhone image in the flash animation shows an iPhone with Vodafone being the phone's service provider, it's obviously a bad photoshop job. They had to put Vodafone there because they could hardly put a competitor's name/logo there.

4. sallythemac Guest

And why would they show it with GPRS!? Surely they want to push their 3G coverage?? PLUS the demo states how u don't have to be a Voda customer - not a major point unless Voda don't do the phone.

Noway will Voda be getting the iPhone.

5. alexph macrumors regular

This was a response I got from Vodafone forum guys

"Just to say on the note of the the iPhone portal, it's a beta, and primarily designed for our overseas customers in territories where we sell the iPhone (though our UK customers can use it too, should they have an iPhone).

We certainly can't deny the impact the iPhone has had on the mobile industry, and we recognise that there is a portion of our customers using this popular device. It's a web app, and does not sit on the device as an installed application. To gain access, simply head to http://portal.beta.vodafone.com on your PC and register your mobile number - this will push a security code via SMS."

Alex

6. alexph macrumors regular

But I guess you have wonder how many countries they sell in where English is first language, to warrant the investment.

Still i guess we will all know in 60 days or so

Alex