iPhone and Windows Integration

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aphexii, Oct 8, 2007.

1. aphexii macrumors 6502

Trying to find out some info for my boss. She recently was given an iPhone and before we open it i'm trying to find out info about how it sync's with Windows (I only know how mine sync's with a mac). We know its not a business phone (she would have it on her personal account), but wanted to see what exactly it can sync with windows.

So, my question. I'm sure that it uses iTunes to sync, just like on the mac side, but is there any outlook integration? (contacts/calendars)

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

yes, you can sync an iphone with a pc using data from outlook.

your best bet would be to have your boss check out the iphone manual which should contain all the information she'd need to set up syncing and understand the iphone's capabilities with a pc - you can find it here.

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

All via iTunes, just like mac. I don't know if iTunes can sync with outlook or a windows calendar app.

But, yeah, just like iPod, it syncs with iTunes.

4. spicoli macrumors member

Windows must be XP or higher (no windows 2000 or NT). Outlook must be 2003 or newer. I set up an iphone for a friend here at work with XP and Outlook 2003 and it works flawlessly. On the other hand, I have windows 2000 at work (mac at home) and windows 2000 won't recognize the iphone. Needless to say (for me anyway), I only sync at home.

5. rayward macrumors 65816

I have iPhone and Windows. It syncs mail, contacts and calandar from Outlook, your favourites from IE and photos from whatever folder you specify. Obviously iTunes is the same so there's no difference there.

Some people, like me, had issues with the iTunes add-in for Outlook crashing Outlook and then getting disabled. This meant that the Outlook sync wouldn't work (but it doesn't affect iTunes directly so it would still sync everything that wasn't Outlook). I found that by re-enabling the iTunes add-in, and then immediately re-installing Outlook, the sync would work. A couple of times it broke again, but I just repeated the fix and eventually it held...or should I say, it is holding for now...who knows with MS stuff?!

6. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Do note that while the iPhone can sync mail with Outlook, if you want to grab mail using the iPhone's client "on the go", it will not connect to an MS Exchange Server, but only uses MAPI. And sometimes the messages on the MAPI server (through Outlook) and the iPhone's mail client can get "un-synched".

Somebody is beta testing an Exchange client for the iPhone and I hear Microsoft is considering adding the iPhone to ActiveSync (and whatever the Sync program on Vista is).

7. cmaier macrumors G3

It also can sync favorites with desktop Safari. I use this option, mainly because I use desktop Safari to develop for iPhone, and I don't want the same set of bookmarks on the desktop and the phone (it's somewhat easier to manage bookmarks on the desktop, otherwise I would just turn off bookmark syncing altogether).

Also, I believe photos will sync with photoshop elements if you prefer that to folders.