iPhone antenna & service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thouts, Jun 30, 2009.

1. thouts macrumors regular

thouts

So i just got the 3G S. I played with it very happily for like 8 hours yesterday. I came into work this morning and at my desk I have NO SERVICE!! There is service all the way up to the doors of the building (though not the greatest - about 3 bars) Is there ANYTHING that can be done to fix this. I spend 8 hours a day at my desk and I need service there.

AT&T. More bars in more places.

Dammit.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Yes, unfortunately, there's no doubt the RF sensitivity of the iPhone is pretty poor in comparison to many other makes. At home, my Wife's Samsung is usually on four bars while my 3G S can barely manage between one and two :( We're both on O2.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I always have 4 bars and I work in a government building. Is there anything special about your building or is there something that could be causing the interference?

4. nolatron macrumors member

I also discovered this same problem. Got my 16GB 3GS yesterday, then came into work this morning and found "No service" staring at me. I can sometimes get 1 bar and Edge service, but it practically doesn't do anything.

I also have a sidekick through T-Mobile USA which normally has 4/5 bars and full 3G service. Was hoping AT&T would be the same, but for some reason the service dies once you get into the building a little bit. :(

And I really really wanted to give this phone a try, but not sure what to do about the no service problem at the office.

Guess a last alternative could be to eventually jailbreak/unlock and use T-Mobile, but I wouldn't have 3G service. <shrug>

5. tjp888 macrumors regular

tjp888

Well, there is one option (though not a great one). That is to install a femtocell at your work place. AT&T does offer these. But, it needs a connection to the Internet, so I don't know how feasible this would be in your situation.

6. xtrematrix macrumors newbie

That does not actually mean better service. More bars in more places referrers to the number of cellular subscribers they have. So they can say they have more bars (more people with their phones) in more places then other companies.

7. KUKitch macrumors member

KUKitch

That makes no sense at all, unless I'm just missing the point/some sort of sarcasm... and if so, good job. If that were the case then why are there always objects in the form of their reception bars? How can it mean anything other than having better service in more places than the competition?