iPhone App Advice

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Desai87, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Desai87 macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

So I started learning iOS programming recently and I was looking towards make an app for my work. Basically I work in school and I was interested in making an app for discussions for the students for my department. Now I am aware that I might need to have a database if I want a discussion as I need to be able to store the discussions. My main concern is what all things I would be required to do if I want to make an app for discussion. As I'm new to this so not sure how its possible, can someone put some insights on the things I would need to learn, understand and need for making this kind of app. For the use of the app I am planning to make this on registration basis only by clients putting their ID which would be verified and then only they will have Access to the main functions. Thanks to all and everyone.

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Welcome to MR

For a discussion board you would need a central place to store the messages during a discussion / conversation; a server (could be a file server, a web server or database, as you mentioned.).
    You would need to serve asynchronous requests, some user management ... Make sure the conversations stay isolated.

But wouldn't it be easier to use existing discussion systems (there are tons of it). Twitter, Facebook, Yammer, ... Install a board system like MR ...

Do you have any experience in per programming languages ? Which one ? What are you teaching (assume you are a teacher) ?

3. Desai87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply ChristianJapan.

I do have some background in programming due to which I was given this project.

I do understand that using discussion boards like Yammer or MR would be comfortable and easy but due to some politics internally, they would not allow me to do it and the IT department have their own DB too but they would allow its using so what I ha in mind was to either install something like MySQL or SQL Server and start with it to see how much bandwidth and storage is bro used. If it works out then I would get the budget for a server or would at least rent one for the use.