iPhone app beta testing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Unconsoled, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Unconsoled macrumors regular

So I responded to an ad on Craigslist to beta test an new app here in Seattle. Well they emailed me yesterday admitting me and asked a few more questions. They were all about how many people were in my contacts and did some of those people have multiple # or address and how many calls do I make a day.

The more I think about it it makes me nervous. The guys email is just a gmail account. Obviously I don't HAVE to do it but I am a whore for testing new stuff. What do you guys think? I would download the app to the phone and test it.
    :confused:

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

There is always a risk when beta testing. Just be sure to back up your phone before installing his app. That way if it does corrupt something you can just restore from back-up and be up and running like new.

3. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

There is also the risk that he may be shoveling your data back to himself. I don't know how protective the OS is, but in a normal environment, it's doable.

4. Unconsoled thread starter macrumors regular

Also worried that it uses my contacts to get to other people like a morn virus.

5. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

That wouldn't work. Unless they are sending your contacts (with email addresses listed) email containing the virus.

If you are this concerned, back out and dont beta test it.