iPhone app compatibility with iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Agent-P, May 18, 2011.

1. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

So I currently have an iPod Touch with plenty of apps on it that I love. I have an iPad on the way and I plan on syncing the same apps over. What I wanted to know is if there is a way to check if my iPod Touch apps are those universal apps that are also the iPad version without having to sync over the apps and manually open each of them on the iPad? It wouldn't be that big of a deal if that is my only option, but if there is an easier way to determine if they were universal apps then I would much rather prefer that.

I tried to find a search that answered my question, but I couldn't really find anything. If there is a thread that already answers this, then go ahead and link it to me. Thanks for your guys' help.

2. Sonic04GT, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

Sonic04GT macrumors regular

They will be sorted under Apps in iTunes. Up top should be "iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad Apps." Anything in that category should operate fine on both. Most other iPod Touch apps will run on the iPad, but will be at a much smaller resolution in the center of the iPad's screen. You have the option to scale it x2 but it will obviously look more pixelated due to the stretching to fit the iPad's larger display.

I have heard that "iPhone 4 apps" will run nearly at full screen on the iPad.

Don't be surprised when you have to buy the separate "HD" version of all your favorite games. Some are worth it though, because they are designed for the additional screen space.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Unfortunately, they don't. They act just like regular iPhone apps.

4. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

Sucks, but I avoid putting iPhone apps on my iPad to begin with, unless its something useful that i already purchased in which they don't have an HD version of.

5. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Thank you for this. I never manage my apps within iTunes, so I've never seen this separation of apps. But this is exactly the simple solution I was looking for.

6. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

No problem, glad it helped.

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

You can read the iphone 4 apps on the ipad by increasing the screen size but the quailty isn't very good but still readable.