iphone app for downloading large files (and moving to my computer later)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samtasticra, Jan 27, 2011.

1. samtasticra macrumors newbie

hi all

I'd like to be able to download large files with my iPhone, and then move this documents to my Mac later on. For example, zips and .dmg files that take up a coupe of hundred mb in size (think application updates, that kind of thing).

Is there an app that allows this?

From what I gather, Safari (on the iPhone) doesn't - I only got an iPhone yesterday.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to navigate my way to large downloads on my iPhone while out and about, download them, then transport them onto my computer later that day.

I've read that goodiware's iReader can do this for large PDFs, but I want to be able to do it with compressed files (zips, rars, dmgs), even if I can't decompress/unpack them on my iPhone.

Does anyone know of any such apps?

cheers

2. samtasticra thread starter macrumors newbie

it seems like maybe Goodreader can do this. Can anyone confirm, for sure?

cheers

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have goodreader. I successfully brought over a 300 meg pdf file to my iPhone and iPad using goodreader. I think you can get any kind of file at all. If goodreader's built in viewer doesn't know what to do with the file, it asks you whether to try another app. I never tried a zip or dmg but I'm sure they would work.

4. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Dropbox (free 2GB of cloud space, plus an extra 250MB for following some steps after registering.)

More space, if needed, for a fee. Seamlessly sync's between all "linked" Dropboxes.

The App is free & handles [moves] any type of file.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This isn't what the OP is asking.

6. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

In the app store download "downloads" it does exactly what you want.

7. barkingDog, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Oops. Mea culpa.

However, if one uses Atomic Web (instead of Safari for this task), then use its built in Dropbox integration feature, the OPs task can be accomplished.

EDIT: The other apps mentioned above (Goodreader & Downloads) look tempting. Using the integrated Dropbox feature in Atomic Web is still a bit klunky (in comparison.) Glad I caught these recommendations.