iPhone App Issue: Remote

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Heart Break Kid, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

Hi Folks.

I thought i may be able to find help after scouring apples own help forums with no solution in sight.

I currently have a windows XP computer that is connected through ethernet to my home network. Downstairs, I have a ethernet jack to which I connect my Airport Express. The airport express is ofcourse connected to my audio system.

I want to be able to use my iPhone Remote app to select songs, pause, play etc.

The problem Im having is, since the Windows XP system that houses my music is not on the wireless network, I cannot seem to get my iPhone to detect it. The remote app seems to only be found by my laptops on the WiFi network.

Is there any solution to my problem?

2. jdcrow711 macrumors regular

get a wifi card for your desktop ?

If it is running through the same router that houses the wifi for the iPhone and that does not work -- then it is the only chance I think.

3. parkds macrumors regular

Make sure your router is distributing the IP addresses for all devices...both wired and wireless. I have a mixed network, with my desktop using a wired connection and Remote has been working flawlessly.

4. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i had the same problem and the only way i got it to work was to connect my PC to my router.

5. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

i was really hoping to avoid having to get a wifi card.
    bah, i guess thats the only solution

6. sgibson macrumors regular

sgibson

Does not need to be wireless.

Check your Windows PC isn't blocking it (maybe temporarily turn off your firewall to check), make sure you have the "look for remote controls" box ticked in the iTunes preferences too. I can use the remote to control my MacBook (wifi), my AppleTV (wired to main wireless router) and my Windows PC (wired to a second router that is wired to the primary). If I can get all that to work then it is pretty flexible.

Just checking your router is assigning IPs to your phone as well as the PC and it should be ok (and check the couple of things up above).

7. Jager1726 macrumors newbie

I've been having issues with the Remote app from the beginning. Until today, I was only able to link my iPhone with iTunes once and it happened randomly and stopped just as randomly. After reading these posts, I disabled my virus software's firewall, restarted my computer, and iPhone's Remote app was able to find my library, which is great, but I'd like to be able to keep my firewall protection runnning. So I have the following questions:

1. Does anyone know how to configure firewall settings so that it still blocks most things, but let's the Remote app control iTunes?

2. In response to the previous post, how can you tell if your router is assigning the iPhone's IP (I know how to determine that for my PC)?

3. After initially setting up Remote to control iTunes by selecting it under Devices and punching in the code, can you guys still see the iPhone in the devices list when it's not connected for syncing? Right now my iPhone is controlling iTunes, but it doesn't appear on the left and I'm just wondering if that's normal...

Thanks in advance!

8. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

try this, it worked for me. (assuming you have a DSL modem or something like it) connect the modem to the PC via USB. then connect your PC to the wireless router via ethernet

9. sgibson macrumors regular

sgibson

If you go into your router control panel (quite often http://192.168.0.1) there should be somewhere that shows connected devices. If they have a network name that should show up, otherwise it will show the MAC address for the network card on the device. You can check this against the MAC address on the iPhone (under setting and about I think) to let you know which devices the router is assigning IPs to.

If it's your PC firewall that's blocking and you spend all your time behind a router you may not need the firewall on (I don't use one - just let the router do the filtering), but I'm not advocating you switch off your firewall, just in case. I don't know what ports the remote app works through, but you may have an option to allow certain services access through the firewall. Have a poke around the configuration and see if there is somewhere to add it.

10. Jager1726 macrumors newbie

Now my connection goes in and out. Sometimes I can use the Remote app, but most of the time I can't. I've checked my firewall settings and it's set to allow full access to iTunes. I can't figure out what the problem is. Any other suggestions??

11. themeis macrumors newbie

can u use the app if appletv is connected to ethernet

the app works fine for itunes music library and appletv wireless , but keeps dropping for appletv , so i use homeplugs to stream data to my apple tv , anyway to is there any way to get the remote app to work if my apple tV IS CONNECTED VIA ETHERNET ? my mac has wirelss etc... ?

12. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Easy. If you get data over the wifi, your iPhone has an IP. You can't be accessing wifi and not have an IP. Go to the wifi settings and press the blue arrow when it shows you connected to your wireless network and it will report your DHCP lease info, IP, etc.

13. DBS2009 macrumors newbie

Similar problem..

Hi, I've searched everywhere for good answers but i just couldn't find anything. My problem is that, when i star the Remote app, and select "Add a Library.." my iPhone doesn't appear in iTunes under "Devices" (actually there's not even a "Devices" Menu appearing!)...I have a 2G iPhone, i have iTunes 8.0, my PC has Windows XP, it is connected via Ethernet to a router, AND my iPhone does receive Wi-Fi signal from it because I've already used internet with my iPhone. So, what to do EXACTLY?...just to be precise, i did check the option in iTunes's Preferences that searches for remote on iphones and ipods, and i also checked the option of sharing my library with local networks. Please, can someone solve this??...This issue is getting really frustrating. Thanks,

Daniel

14. hebhansen macrumors newbie

My findings so far

Bonjour is part of your Itunes install. It is used for various function working underneath your Itunes. So you don't get so familiar withvit.

Remote app for iTunes use bonjour to access to Itunes - in other words bonjour must be accessible trough your firewall. Both on your Itunes Computer and your router. Note - allowing access to and from iTunes.exe is not enough. You also need to allow Bonjour.exe.

If all is open it should be fine. To be specific, bonjour use these ports for Remote: TCP Port 3689 - UDP Port 5353.

If remote works with all firewalls disabled, this is probably the issue.

Your router firewall is disabled from your browser at http://192.168.1.1 or similar. Login and go to security or similar...

iTunes setup:
    You must allow iTunes to search for remote iPhone/iPod Touch in the settings department

Try to clear the sync log and forget about units

Now - that beeing said, my issue seems to be a bit more severe...

I did the above and I kind of accepted that it does not work for me. I moved on and I played with other remote apps for my new iPhone; AirCam Lite and VLC Remote. As it turns out nothing works!!!

iPhone 3Gs and windows XP Professional

I installed "Ping Lite" app on my iPhone. Nice app by the way. I entered the IP of my iTiunes host. Packets are sent and nothing recieved???

I googled a bit and came across a site claiming that iPhone does not work with XP/Vista 64bit installations...

At present I am not sure what I have, but the non working issues seems general for me. Any ideas on how to make my pc visible to my iPhone?

Henrik