iPhone App Store - Someone else's account?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by secretarylady, Jan 14, 2010.

1. secretarylady macrumors newbie

Hello all.

My boyfriend has had a 3GS since they came out, and had had it for awhile before he bought a new - used - Macbook Pro from an individual. It apparently had not been wiped, because some of his programs and settings were still on there.

Along with these, my boyfriend inherited this person's apps somehow - even though iTunes on the Macbook is currently signed in under my boyfriend's account, as is his iPhone.

Now there are apps on his phone that he did not buy, but does occasionally use (why not?). The problem is, they show up under HIS iTunes account (on the computer), but cannot be updated. On the computer, it shows for example, "8 updates", but when you click it, only 3 are applicable to his personal account - the others don't even show up. On the phone, it also shows the same updates, but when it prompts you to enter your password, it gives the individual's email address who owned this computer previously. On apps that my boyfriend actually downloaded himself, it prompts him for HIS password, as it should.

Short of deleting the apps completely, is there any way we can get around this? Since he uses some of them on a regular basis, I'd rather he not have to delete and re-pay (if applicable).

Hope this all makes sense! If anyone has experienced this before or has some insight, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

You will have to continue to put in the seller's password for his apps and your boyfriend's password for his apps. This is because the apps that the seller bought are authorized to the iPhone's serial number and his account number. Your boyfriend's apps are authorized to that serial number and account. If there's anything else we can help you with than just reply.

DPA

3. secretarylady thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks like he'll need to either delete those apps or deal with the constant "update" badge, because we don't have the computer's previous owner's iTunes account password. Oh well. Thank you for replying!

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

u cant just delete the apps the other guy had put on there?

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Wirelessly posted (David's Black 16GB iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

You can delete the apps but, like you stated, you would like to continue to use the apps that the seller had on the iPhone. You will have to deal with the apps unless you delete the old apps and deauthorize the iTunes account on the computer and phone.

DPA

6. Theminecraft455 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem but it's different. I downloaded minecraft pocket edition on someone else's account that was nice enough to buy it for me. Now there's an update for the same game but it's asking for that other account. Unfortunately, I can't see that person anymore and she changed the password. Someone please help! I don't want to lose my worlds in minecraft pocket edition. I hope you understand this message.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

They didn't "buy" it for you. Without their password you're stuck.