iPhone app that links to settings app (to help with sending email from diff address)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Brendon Bauer, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

Ok, so here is a little background info:

I've wanted to set up my phone so I can send mail from multiple email addresses on the iPhone (because i have many email addresses forwarded to my Gmail). Obviously I don't want to receive the mail from those addresses though, as I already get them through Gmail. To do this, I used a trick I found where you add the other email addresses you want by adding another mail account under the "Other" option, POP, enter the address to send from, but under outgoing mail server you enter smtp.gmail.com and your gmail username and password. This way it sends from the email you entered at the top under the pop account, but via the google smtp servers using your gmail account. So far, this has worked.

The trick comes in where you enter the wrong information into the incoming mail server so you don't get mail into that account (however, you do get error messages in the mail app which is annoying, so we remove this later). When you're finished setting up the account you save it with the wrong info. After that, you go back into the account settings and delete the wrong info for the incoming mail server and leave it blank. The settings app won't let you save these changes while blank, however, and so the old trick (before multitasking) was just to hit the home button and it would save the changes. With the (curse of, in this case) multitasking, the state of the app is stored and so you can't ever get out of that part of the settings app.

So my idea is this: if there was an app that switches you to some place in the settings app (like when you're swapped over to YouTube, or Safari, or the App Store, or iTunes store, etc), maybe it would allow me to "back out of" that setting and save those changes. Maybe something that takes you to push notifications, or bluetooth settings? Know of any apps that do that?

Any ideas?
    Sorry if this is long and confusing... it's a strange request :)
    Brendon

2. ckd macrumors member

There's a much easier way to do this.

Add the additional "From" addresses you want to the "Address" for that account in the Settings app, separated by commas.

(In all of the following, replace * with @ -- I did this to keep idiot spammers from being even more idiotic than usual by trying to send to example.com.)

For an account "ckd*example.com" where I wanted to also be able to send from "ckd*macrumors.example.com", I'd put

ckd*example.com, ckd*macrumors.example.com

Then, when sending mail, when you see the "Cc/Bcc, From: user*example.com" line tap on it to expand it into Cc, Bcc, and From; tap on From to get a list of all your accounts (including the comma separated aliases for each) so you can choose the address to send from.

(This also works on the Mac in Mail.app, btw, and if you have it set up in Mail.app and transfer your account settings to the iPhone it'll already be there for you.)

3. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

The only problem with that is that it doesn't work with the built in gmail account setup (gives an error on saving once you add the other address like you instructed). You have to use "other" when setting up the account, and in doing so you lose the native archive (replaces delete button) ability. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I tried adding ",myotheremail@example.com" to the Address field under General Account Information, as well as to the User Name field under the Outgoing Mail Server (but not both at the same time). This was all under the Gmail account setup using the Gmail button.

4. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

Nobody? I was hoping there would be an app that takes you to push notifications, or some sort of setting, from within the app. Hmm...