iPhone Apple Certified Preowned warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iOrbit, Feb 24, 2015.

1. iOrbit, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

iOrbit macrumors 6502a

can someone clear something up for me?

i'm looking at brand new sealed "Apple Certified Pre-owned" iPhones on ebay.

do all of these come with 1 year warranty with apple? or is it in some cases these only come with 30 days?

I'm getting confused because i know someone who got a replacement iPhone after losing his (i think his bank did it, insurance) and he got the apple certified pre-owned iPhone 5 and it came with a whole year of warranty.

but i have also read users receiving replacement iPhones from apple with just 30 days warranty, i'm confused.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I am not sure about the ebay ads, but a "refurb" bought from apple comes with a 1 year warranty. If you link to a specific ad it should tell you what it comes with.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

There is no such thing as a "certified pre-owned" iPhone.

Apple don't sell pre-owned phones, nor refurbished ones directly. If you have a fault with yours, they may replace it with a refurbished handset, which has the longer of the remaining warranty of the original handset or 90 days.

4. mhunter6378 macrumors regular

On occasion there is an outlet on eBay for these certified pre-owned devices. I bought an iPhone 5 from them last year as a replacement device. It did come with a one year warranty that I was able to verify through Apple's website after I registered the device. There were several articles published about it at the time which is how I found out about it. Apple doesn't sell them directly though. http://9to5mac.com/2014/07/08/9to5t...uetooth-speakers-50-smarthome-deals-and-more/

5. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Right, i just got one recently but it was used for 8 weeks and i got shafted a little because it was supposed to be spotless / as new but it had several very tiny dents on the diamond cut edge which ****** me off. it came with 1 year warranty, I'm thinking of selling it and going with one that is actually sealed / new.

do these refurbs come with brand new casing, or do apple sell refurbs that have maybe very small scratch or two on the glass?

6. mhunter6378 macrumors regular

I probably was lucky with the one I got, it was pretty much spotless and in as new condition as it could be. I suppose though that could easily vary from device to device as they are pre-owned and may have some blemishes. Sorry yours wasn't in as good of shape as you would have liked. Every once in a while there are listings for new sealed in box offerings on eBay and Swappa, that may something you would want to explore.