iPhone AppleCare Question :|

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shawn D, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Shawn D macrumors regular

I just got a 2g off ebay and it has a dead pixel on the screen. Its still under applecare until June and I have an appointment with the Genius bar tomorrow. But my question is, will they replace the phone for that problem? Do they still replace 2g's, Like do they have those in the store or is there any crazy chance that they will upgrade me to a 3g?

Any thoughts would be very helpful.

2. akbc macrumors 6502

If they have a spare screen (i'm 80% sure 3G and the EDGE iPhones use similar/same screen?) They might just replace the screen. If it's something thats un-repairable... Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe ;)

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I just took my 2G in for dead pixels that were spreading and they replaced it with no questions asked. They will give you a replacement iPhone 2G. If they don't have any in stock they will order one for you. There is no way that they'll give you an iPhone 3G.

4. Shawn D thread starter macrumors regular

Well hey I can hope. Can't I hah. Thanks for the replies guys I would be very happy getting a new 2g

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

They don't do repairs in the stores for iPods and iPhones. They replace and ship the device to a service facility so it can be cycled through the refurbish process.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Same here - to have a brand new iPhone when the one I had was beat to **** and destroyed and they didn't have any problem replacing with one that is perfect...I'm happy. It's why I'll always stick with Apple.

7. Shawn D thread starter macrumors regular

so did you have to bring in the phone box with all the extras or did they just take the phone

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Just the phone - they don't need the extras.

9. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Why do they keep/keep making old ones? Doesn't seem like they'd save any money, and they'd probably rather have people on their new hardware?

But maybe theres some math behind it, with upgrade pricing etc.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

They don't make new ones - they repair or replace the parts. Some of the parts are still being produced and they do have a backstock of them.

They don't care what hardware you're on - they want you to buy a new iPhone at some point. If not...you'd see people trying to turn in their iPhones before the warranty is up.

Also, there's the whole at&t data package price issue between the models and Apple doesn't want to chance screwing a customer.

11. WPeterson macrumors member

WPeterson

according to my experiences, AppleCare might ask their chinese manufacturer to repair sorta issues, or directly replace the screen for ya by their technicians. want a 3g? maybe you can try to sell your 2g iphone, and buy another one one ebay as well. :)

12. Shawn D thread starter macrumors regular

So do you guys think it will be replaced then? Seems like I'm hearing a couple different things. And if so will it come in the white refurbished box?

13. Shawn D thread starter macrumors regular

I thought i'd update this and let you all know I went into the store and they replaced it no questions asked they said "one dead pixel is one too many" and I was very pleased with the service.

Way to go apple! ;)

14. icewing macrumors 6502

Awesome, good for you, and thanks for the update. I was betting they wouldn't replace it for only a single pixel. Good to know...