iPhone AppleCare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Buckit, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Buckit macrumors member

Is it worth it?

What more does it give you? Is it really just an extention of the existing plan with the added benefit of better service with apple?

what I'm getting at... Does AppleCare cover ANY damage done to the phone? If I drop it and crack the screen or drop it in a puddle does AppleCare cover it?

Would gladly pay for accidental damage coverage if it exists.

2. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

It's an extension of the factory warranty by one year. And as far as I know, it does not cover accidental damage, only hardware/software issues.

I'm not sure if this is true so don't hold me to it...but from what I understand, you can purchase Apple Care at any time. I've never purchased it, because I've always gotten the newest iPhone each time and the factory warranty was still valid. I'd imagine if I were to keep my iPhone for more than a year, I'd definitely get Apple Care. I've replaced my 3G and OG a total of at least 5 times under their factory warranties.

3. redking31591 macrumors 6502

you have one year from the date of purchase to buy apple care. just make sure you hold on to the receipt because the last few ipods i have bought the factory warranty has expired months before the one year make for some reason. the last on was a touch that i bought in may but the warranty expired in February, or 9 months. apple will only straighten out a problem like this if you have proof of purchase.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm personally of the mind that you're better off getting an extended warranty from SquareTrade. They cover accidental damage, whereas AppleCare does not.

5. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

square trade

yup and check online for coupon codes. They have an accidental policy for iPhone.

6. Buckit thread starter macrumors member

Looks like their 32gb 3GS coverage only covers up to $499. that doesn't cover the unsubsidized cost to replace it.

7. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Yeah, and personally, you will baby that thing.

Nay, the applecare is a fantastic option at 70...I replaced my iPhone 3G 2 times due to legitimate reasons that just result on being a bad phone. I'm sure you've had a phone that had a little trouble that you don't want...well AppleCare is no questions asked and you get a new phone. In fact, any screen protectors that need to be pulled off will be attempted to be transferred and replaced. Oh btw you are working with the best in the business when it comes to warrenty repair, status, and coverage. Accidental coverage is something that you'd only need if you are a rough and rugged guy.

Most of the time, problems that result from "accidents" can be reported to be just a fault in the phone. I know this isn't very honest but just sayin'

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

If you're going to get AppleCare, set a reminder 11 1/2 months out and buy it then. There's no need to buy it any sooner...

9. Resist macrumors 68030

Hard to explain away a cracked screen as fault of the phone.

Get the Squaretrade warranty, accidental damage insurance is a good thing.

10. Luddy macrumors member

This is my first iPhone and I am considering getting the squaretrade coverage purely for accidental coverage. How far along into a person's contract must they be to get the partially subsidized replacement pricing of 499 for the 32GB 3GS. Also, if you make a claim and they pay out does that cancel your insurance or will you still be covered for the remainder of the two years?

I guess the warranty would still save money even unsubsidized (115 for warranty + 50 dollar deductible + 200 dollars you would have to pay to meet the unsubsidized cost means it would cost 365 out of pocket total for the replacement phone versus 699 if I had no insurance.

I may try to ask state farm about insurance on it since I have another policy with them, but i heard that they stopped offering iphone/cell phone coverage.

11. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Check your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy to see if they have something similar to a "Home Media Endorsement". Mine does and they claim that it covers everything except wear and tear -- including theft, accidental breakage, etc.

And it seems to be cheaper than AppleCare or Squaretrade.

Now, the downside is that you probably have to jump through hoops to make an claim stick. With AppleCare, claims are really easy -- for those that are covered, of course.

12. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

i'm paying $39 through State Farm for insurance. better than apple care

13. tritonj macrumors 6502a

i had a crack on my screen, when i brought my 3G back in for warranty repair for other legit reasons, i was told that they have a 1 crack allowance, if there was more than one then there is a small charge for the additional.

14. Versus macrumors member

I am normally part of the school that feels if something is going to go wrong, it will happen before the normal manufacturers warranty has expired. I never, ever, purchased any kind of extended warranty in the past on electronics. However, when I was at ATT getting my phone on friday, they offered to wave the activation fee if I purchased Apple Care. So basically AC cost me $32.

Now that think about it, I still wish I hadn't bothered. $32 is $32 and I will most likely upgrade when (if) a new phone comes out next year. Oh well.

15. cbdudek macrumors member

Personally, I think its worth it for the piece of mind alone. I bought applecare last year on my iphone 3g and in that time period, I had one hardware problem where it seemed that the phone would shut off and not come back up. It was some kind of battery problem.

I took my iphone down to the local Apple store and they gave me a refurb one right away. Took less than 10 minutes to get in and out. So it was worth it to me.

16. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Can you buy apple care more than a year after you buy the phone (or past the 1 year free time)?

17. Resist macrumors 68030

Only if the iPhone issue happened while it was in your home, not while you had it away from home.

18. tritonj macrumors 6502a

i believe you have to buy it before the current warranty expires, which is SOP for most warranty extensions, although some will make you buy it up front at the time of purchase of the device

19. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Ahhh -- good point. I will bring that up with them. So I guess SquareTrade is worldwide coverage then?

20. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

On other hand, how would the insurance company really know where you broke it? I think people could get around that rule if they want to given the portability of the iPhone. Although that would be insurance fraud.

21. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Tell me if this will give me the same or better coverage than AppleCare or SquareTrade....

I can get my iPhone covered by adding a home media endorsement to my home policy. That covers anything I do to the phone (drops, down the toilet, etc.) or theft of the phone. I get $2500 of coverage for around $40 a year. No deductible. It does not cover manufacturer's defects, or normal wear and tear.

I also bought my phone with an American Express card, and if I understand it correctly, that extends the manufacturer's warranty an additional year (so I have two years coverage in this case). I don't believe there is a deductible.

So,

Home insurance Addendum + American Express Extended Warranty IS BETTER THAN AppleCare or SquareTrade from both a cost and coverage perspective.

Do I have that right?

22. ratpackjj macrumors member

Does anyone know if we have to pay the Unsubsidized price if I break my phone only a few months into my contract? $699 is the full price, but if I am willing to extend my contract for another 2 years, do I pay $499 and I can do this at anytime?

23. whotony macrumors newbie

what about water damage, applecare cover that?

Expensive ($15+ a month)but best buy's extra coverage covers anything,
    from what i can figure out.

also if i buy from best buy can i still get applecare?

24. dagomike macrumors 65816

What I'd suggest and what I'd probably do:

You get 90 days free phone support. If for some reason I need phone support after that I'll buy it.

When I get close to the year, I'll evaluate if I want to spend the $70.
    - If I'm in the market for a new iPhone financially and/or if one I want is announced, I'll put the $70 towards it.
    - If I feel confident in my phone I just won't bother.
    Otherwise, I'll buy it before June 19, 2010.

25. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm curious: Why would you wait? I'm definitely waiting past the first 30 days.