iPhone Application as a Gift

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by cmcbridejr, Jan 21, 2009.

1. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Is it possible to purchase an iPhone application from the iTunes Store and send it to someone as a gift?

I would prefer not to give them an iTunes Card. I just want to choose and purchase the application, and then let them be able to have ownership of it.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Not possible in the current App Store model unfortunately.

3. cmcbridejr thread starter macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

WEAK!

4. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Damn man, it took you over a month to return to your thread...

5. cmcbridejr thread starter macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I'm not a quitter, dude. I don't give up.;)

Also, I still think it is weak that Apple still has not implemented something.

6. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

oh boy. wish people would give me a 99 cent app??? LOL

7. Doozul Dorph macrumors newbie

Hey cmcbridejr:

I tried telling my UN & PW to my friend with an iPhone, to buy themselves an App, and it wouldn't work. Dyuno what's up with that? Have you found any workaround to accomplish what we both seek i.e. app gifting?

Doozul

8. Alteron macrumors newbie

Alteron

Oh yeah. it's a problem... I often want to make a gift to my friends.. Alas...
    Apple MUST to make it possible!:apple:

9. Dt.Di.Zy macrumors newbie

10. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

11. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Maybe contact the developer and ask if they will provide a promo code for the end user? Worth a shot. You could promise to buy their app for YOUR device (and show proof of purchase), etc. Promo codes aren't supposed to be used for commercial purposes, but there might be an acceptable way to do it.

12. Doozul Dorph macrumors newbie

Been there done that. Courteous response suggested gift card as only option.

13. krazykiefer macrumors newbie

What a shame :(

They need to change that immediately. There are so many uses for that including holidays, birthdays...the list goes on! :mad:

14. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    yyyyuuuuppp.....

still amazing we can't do this :(...... seems like such an easy/obvious revenue stream ...... heck it's like giving someone a paid "promo code" for an app..... doesn't seem so difficult, but their must be something that we aren't thinking about.......

15. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

iTunes Gift Card, it is the same thing, just that they can purchase the APP on their iTunes account without touching your account, besides if you buy them a nice size card like $100.00 they will be able to get apps and more, they will love you, I give out $100.00 gift cards to my sons and some other ppl that I know use iTunes, they say it is the best B-Day or Christmas gift they ever get bc they will really use them, worth the $$$.

16. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

I have also been trying to gift an app today! Did a Google search and this is the top result!

Come on Apple, you should be able to do this! I'm sure you can do it on the music side of things!

AnDy

17. jsiegl macrumors newbie

Also a problem for School Use

Another reason this is important is that Apple has repeated told school districts that the iTunes EULA is a consumer agreement and does not apply to schools and has not been able to provide any answers to how to buy paid apps for iPod touch owned by the schools. There are many innovative pilots in schools looking at the use of ipods but Schools would be very reluctant to buy large volumes of iTunes gift cards to hand out to students. The ability to buy a code for a specific app for a specific itunes account would help get around this limitation. Even better would be the ability to buy them in bulk, with a purchase order.

18. gavinroberts01 macrumors newbie