iPhone Application for Stadiums

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ternover, Jul 3, 2009.

1. ternover macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am interested in hearing peoples views based on iPhone applications for sports stadiums. What can they do, if you were to build an application for a stadium what would you include and what do you need to consider.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

How do you mean exactly – would it be an app giving information about specific stadia?

If so, then I suppose you need to show obvious stuff like capacity, who actually plays there (maybe offering a link to their website), year opened, playing surface and so forth. You could also mention stuff like average and record attendances for trivia fans.

A seating plan might also be useful, so if you're wanting to buy tickets you'd have an idea where you'd actually be sat/standing. Links to stuff like the ticket office and local transport timetables may also be something to think about.

3. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

In what sense? Scores? Vendor prices for food? instant replays? Track my seats? All those sound good, but would require alot of help from the actual stadium.

4. ternover thread starter macrumors newbie

Hiya, I am looking to write an article on how stadiums can implement iPhone applications for stadiums on my website.

5. Johnathan macrumors member

It's an interesting idea....

some thoughts that come to mind

- You could do trivia/giveaways.. answer some question correctly and win a prize kind of thing...

- from seat ordering of concessions.

- purchase tickets for other events

- duplicate information that is on the big mega screen, as sometimes you can't see it from the cheap seats :)

- instant stats about players, etc.

the medium could also be used to sell last minute unbought tickets.. push notification to the user, an hour before the game starts... "would you like to buy tickets to this event? ... " at discounted price..

just the things that came to mind

-j

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

This is the Nintendo DS app for Seattle Mariners game. Its pretty good.

7. ineedamac macrumors 6502

I would want to see an app that would provide more information on the current hitter and pitcher. This could have the same data as the scoreboard but also go a little farther. Instant replay for home runs or great plays would be another great idea.

8. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

MLB needs to create special versions of MLB.com At Bat for each specific minor league. :)

9. jmitch150 macrumors regular

jmitch150

That mariners app is sick....they need that at Fenway!

10. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah some instant polls would be pretty cool if they put a poll up on the big screen and the people with iphones could vote right away.. would be something to get people involved.

11. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

That's pretty sweet. That is what I was going to suggest... having an app that communicates with whatever stadium you are at and it gives you live stats, replays, etc. I'd definitely use it at Mizzou football games! ...I am taking an iPhone Application Developer course this coming semester, so maybe I'll keep this in the back of my mind to see if it'd be possible.

12. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

this has to be the most vague thread I've ever read

Texting is way more universal than having an iPhone specific application

having a "iPhone only" promotion at a stadium would piss off a majority of the fans.

13. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Kinda like an insurance company making an app for the iPhone and advertising it on TV!

That would be stupid!

14. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Maps with food and restrooms are a must. Would also be nice to get views akin to google street from every seat in the stadium.
    Are you serious? This question makes total sense and the idea is a great one for an app.

15. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

It would be nice if it included parking options for around the stadium.

Which entrance is closest to my seats.

As bigmouth mentioned, food and restroom locations are high on the list.

16. whotony macrumors newbie

I hope your writing skills for this article are better at getting your views across
    then what you've written in this topic.