iPhone approaching end of cycle?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PowerFullMac, Nov 5, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

2. P Mentior macrumors regular

It looks to me that they counted the capacity increase of the 1st gen as an update. If anything the next update will just be another capacity increase for the 3G.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The information given there is based on historical trends.

If you view the dates given on the side you can see that apple perdiocially did things to the iPhone

Dropping 4GB iPhone and discount on 8GB
    Introducing 16Gb iPhone
    iPhone 3G

Some of those changes listed there were apple adjusting to an unknown market that they entered. So this time around this probably won't happen.

It is safe to assume that the iPhone will continue with its 2G* form factor however an update to the internal memory might happen.

If you check recent rumors apple have said that their holiday line up is set which would suggest that the iPhone will not see an update. Also of note is this recent rumor.

As with all rumours they are jkust that until the product actually appears. It is just a case for the end user to analyse the information and make a decision based on that. It is afterall your money.

*Before anyone jumps on this 2G means 2ng generation iPhone which is what the iPhone 3G is.

4. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

This question was posed just a few days ago. In all likelihood we won't see an iPhone update until Jan/Feb when Apple will increase memory capacity as they did at the same time last year when the 16GB 1G was released for Valentine's day.

It's really tough on people who have been waiting on iPhone 3G for 32GB. Now the next refresh is only about 8 months away and will probably be a much more pronounced upgrade than the 3G iPhone was.

I'm in that boat right now. Ultimately I might just get the 16GB current iPhone and then give it to my wife next summer when the next one comes out.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Taking a cue from the iPods, and particularly the Touch, I wouldn't rule out that, in addition to upping the capacity, the possibility of an upgrade that does one or more of the things that happen with the frequent iPod bumps...

- Longer battery life
    - Thinner (so okay, the Touch isn't thinner, it just looks it, but it has happened with other iPods on numerous occasions in the form of a bump)
    - Brighter screen or other minor screen improvement.

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

How can it be approaching the end of a cycle if it was released just 4 months ago?

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Because in 60 days Apple might discontinue the 8gb model, drop the price of the 16gb model and introduce a 32gb at 16gb prices.

This would follow closely what they did last year at this time in the product cycle of the first generation iphone.