iPhone apps gift card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OmahaGTP, Dec 21, 2008.

1. OmahaGTP macrumors member

I want to get someone I know with an iPhone a gift for Christmas, and I wanted to know if such a thing exists? I don't own an iPhone, so I don't know.

Do apps get bought and purchased directly through credit card? iTunes gift card? iPhone apps gift card (doesn't seem to be such a thing)?

Thanks. :apple:

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

An iTunes gift card will work. Payments are handled by the same system for all store content.

3. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

iTunes gift card will work as said above.

Or you could "gift" buy the app with your own credit card or giftcard which means they'll just receive the specific app via their iTunes account.

4. OmahaGTP thread starter macrumors member

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Last I heard, that only worked with iTunes music, not apps. Did that change?

6. johnryjr macrumors regular

7. milo macrumors 604

Could someone clarify?

My brother is getting a touch for xmas and I wanted to get him a couple games, but it looks like that feature doesn't exist.

Can someone confirm or am I missing something.

8. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Whoops , my mistake, sorry.

Bit stupid though that it can't be used on apps.

9. sallythemac Guest

Just music? I don't think thats right. I haven't had one since my iPhone, so haven't tried apps, but i have used them in the past for films/videos i am sure.

I have bought my mum one for apps, hope she can use it!

UPDATE - I am certain you can now. A quick Google and you'll see.

10. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

11. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

If you live in Canada you cannot buy apps with gift cards!
    But in America or UK you can.

But I am not sure of your/your friends location.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Are you talking about *gift cards*? If so, yes, itunes gift cards can be used for anything sold in the itunes store, including apps. We were talking about "gifting" -- buying specific music/videos/apps for other people. I just checked, and in the itunes store, if you click on a song or video, there's a little "gift this music/video" button right below the "buy this" button, but not for apps.

13. Ookpic macrumors newbie

For the record as previously posted. If you live in Canada and have a Canadian iTunes account, you CAN NOT use iTunes gift cards to purchase iPhone apps. Apparently you can in the US though.

I just got off the phone with iTunes tech support for this very issue. I gave my son an iPhone 3g and $25 gift card only to find out that you CAN'T get apps without a credit card, you CAN'T purchase apps with a gift card (nowhere on the card does it say this), you CAN'T use your paypal account in Canada. You CAN'T even setup an account with a pre-paid Master Card (that he uses all the time online and with ebay and paypal). So basically if you live in Canada, you're screwed if you are under 18 or over 18 without credit card. Really pathetic since ipods and iphones are aimed at young people that most likely would not have a credit card. I'm really pissed and upset at Apple for making it virtually impossible for young people to legitimately use their devices.

Next step, jailbreak the iPhone like mine is and stick up my middle finger at Apple.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

Why on earth would Apple turn away people willing to give them money? From what other forum posters have said, it's some stupid Canadian regulation that stops Apple from treating your country like they treat the US and UK.

15. Ookpic macrumors newbie

I have no idea why there is a double standard here. Don't even get me started on cell phone data charges here. It just pisses me off. I have a work around that is supposed to work just fine though so tomorrow I'm setting up my US itunes account for myself and my son and will say "screw U" to Canadian iTunes. It's a small amount of hassle but worth it as far as I'm concerned.

16. WPeterson macrumors member

WPeterson

what i did for this, was making a fake US account without payment methods. and then use the Gift Card to purchase. it works well with me... and totally legal....

:cool::cool::cool:

17. Ookpic macrumors newbie

Yup, that's my next move. However, I'll have to purchase US gift cards. A bit of a pain but doable.