iPhone Apps/Help for a physician

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eawmp1, Jun 14, 2009.

1. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I am a practicing primary care physician who is jumping into the smartphone market. I am looking for those with experience and knowledge about iPhone application in the outpatient and inpatient settings. Specifically:

1) I will be installing ePocrates and MedCalc
    2) Any word on the upcoming e-prescribing component of Allscripts. I am rapidly growing tires of iScribe on Palm
    3) Any good peds references (bili nomograms/growth curve calculators/vaccine components&schedules).
    4) Any experience with Cerner-based hospital EMR's accessed via iPhone (I have to use Firefox and Citrix on my home Mac - Safari 3 didn't work)

Any additional help/suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

1) I have ePocrates, MediMath, Sedation (but I doubt you'll be doing conscious sedations in the office), Skyscape, PALS, and WellCheck (gives you some developmental milestones, "growth parameters" but not growth charts, immunization schedule, and some anticipatory guidance).
    2) I don't know.
    3) I use MediMath & Sedation for my calculations. I haven't come across a bili normogram or a true growth chart (with graphing capabilities) yet.
    4) I don't know.

3. eawmp1 thread starter macrumors 601

eawmp1

Thanks for the quick reply! Any other iPhone docs out there with experiences to share?

4. dakrhelmet macrumors newbie

I'm an IT guy who works with doctors. There is a Citrix app for the iphone that may work for you. It all depends how your Citrix farm is setup. I'm currently using it and love it.

5. Roller macrumors 68020

I'm a physician at a fairly large Cerner shop. I'm told that you can run Cerner on the iPhone through Citrix, though I personally would find the small screen restrictive. Over time, though, you'll see many more apps that are optimized for small devices like the iPhone.

One thing to keep in mind is the need for absolute security, since you'll be looking at PHI. To date, my institution has not officially supported the iPhone, in part because of this issue. However, the iPhone 3G S supports hardware encryption, fast remote wipe, and encrypted backups, so that may change. I'm looking forward to see how this is implemented.

6. Richard M macrumors newbie

e-prescribing

I doubt Allscripts will have their eprescribing function available on Smartphones to any capacity in the near future.

However DrFirst offers a mini browser version of their e-prescribing which can be used on any PDA/Smartphone. It is designed for the small screen, and would not requre you to scroll up and down all day like other systems.

http://medgadget.com/archives/2007/12/drfirst_eprescribing_iphone.html

7. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

I have Davis Drug Guide which I believe is also the same resource used in Skyscape or something like that...it is invaluable. As a nurse externing in the hospital, I use it everyday on new meds I'm introduced to and medication compatibilities. I have heard other docs talk about using Cerner on their iPhone but it was too painful to use efficiently.